Trip to Switzerland Dec 1-9 suggestions

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 May 2017 at 6:18:04 #811939

Hi,

First off all i would like to appreciate this forum as i have acquired much knowledge about Swiss travel from here.

I have fixed my itinerary as below and was looking for help in terms of climate, travelling and accommodation.

After reading many posts, it has come to my knowledge that weather in December is less predictable. But given the dates i.e. 1st Dec to 9th Dec, could you share some light as to what the weather will be like? Will it be sunny or cloudy or its something that cant be predicted?

My itinerary is as below after arriving to Zurich on 1st Dec –

transfer on arrival to Lucerne (2N) followed by, Interlaken 2N, Zermatt 2N, Zurich 2N

I plan to visit Mt. Titlis and Matterhorn during my stay. Do these mountain excursions close during winters? I will be taking the IceFlyer/360 Rotar in Titlis, hence wanted to know if these are open.

Swiss Travel Pass is my best option here in terms of transportation and the discounts on certain mountain trains.

when it comes to travelling by train, how easy or difficult it is to navigate through the timetables? Are station names displayed in english at train stations?

Could you suggest some good budget accommodation at the places mentioned?

Thanks much

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 May 2017 at 9:49:15 #863715

Hi Sanban, welcome to MySwissAlps! Glad to hear we are helping!

Weather definitely can’t be predicted more than a week ahead for the towns and valleys and maybe a day or two in the mountains. It will probably be between -5 and 10 degrees in the towns and cities and below 0 certainly in the mountains…perhaps as low as -20 from time to time depending on how high you go and the weather in general.

Yes the mountains are open during the winter for skiing – well the Matterhorn in Zermatt is never open to the public but you can go up to Klein Matterhorn or Gornergrat nearby. Read more about Mt. Titlis and opening dates and how to get there here.

Station names are in German but so are the destinations you are looking for so there is no confusion there. The two towns that get confusing for people are Geneva (Genève in French and Genf in German) and Lucerne (Luzern in German).

For ideas of what to do in each town click on the what to do tab on visiting the following links: Interlaken, Zermatt, Zurich, Lucerne.

You can search for train schedules online here.

Let us know if you have further questions!

Lucas

• The thread ‘Trip to Switzerland Dec 1-9 suggestions’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.