Trip to Switzerland in April-2016, what to see?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 February 2016 at 2:18:26 #808374

Hello There:

I wanted to ask for some recommendations for Day Trips.

We are Arriving in Switzerland via train from Italy . We are Taking a Train From Vareena to Tirano then Taking the Local Train from Tirano to Chur. Then Chur to Zurich.We are spending 1 day in Zurich

From Zurich To Lucerne for 2 Days.>>.Whats Recommended to see Here??

Then From Lucern to Lauterbrunnen for 3 days >>Whats Recommended to see HERE??

We do know about the Top Of Europe, and the Water Falls, But was wondering if there are other Places that you Could recommend?

Then Lauternbrunnen to Bern 1 day>> Any Recommendations?

The Bern To LUGANO>> Recommendation???

we have the Swiss Rail Passes.

I am trying to Use the Swiss Rail Passes to See Great Places. Would like to Go to the TOP of some Mountain as well.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP.

🙂 Stay Well

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    5 February 2016 at 9:07:05 #848193

Hi apizzoli, welcome to MySwissAlps!

Great that you get to visit Switzerland. I don’t know when you’ll be traveling, but the season does determine the trips you can make. Many trips are available all-year round; some are not in low season. To start off with, I suggest you study our recommended activities for the towns and regions you’ve mentioned through the “What to do” sections of these pages:

I’m not quite sure which Swiss rail pass you’re referring to, but I assume it’s the Swiss Travel Pass? You can check what’s covered using the map and attraction list at http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    6 February 2016 at 0:37:36 #848194

Hi Apizzoli-

What dates in April will you be travelling?

As Annika noted, that can affect travel plans, especially to the high Alps.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 February 2016 at 2:12:16 #848195

End of April Starting on the 21st ending April 28th.. I have Printed all the Information from your Web and its Great. I have been trying to Buy Tickets to the Top of Europe with the SWISS Travel PASS, but No price Comes up after processing. A Price comes Up for the EURO RAIL so its very confusing.

Do you have any suugestions

Thank You

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    6 February 2016 at 2:24:53 #848196

<<“your Web and its Great”>>

<<“I have been trying to Buy Tickets to the Top of Europe with the SWISS Travel PASS, but No price Comes up after processing. A Price comes Up for the EURO RAIL so its very confusing.”>>

Thanks for the compliments, but it is not my website.

The forum moderators are Arno and Annika, and they know more about rail passes than anyone else. 😉

I’m sure that they can help with this problem.

I would caution you that at that time of year is not a good idea to purchase tickets to Jungfraujoch (If, indeed, that is “Top of Europe”) in advance.

If the weather is cloudy…quite frequent in April …which best determined on site at the time of the trip or perhaps the day before, you may not wish to go up. Same for Schilthorn. Costs a fair amount of money, and seeing the inside of clouds is not worth the cost, in my opinion. 😉

Slowpoke.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 February 2016 at 3:47:36 #848197

Thanks I Totally Agree. I just read a comment about waiting to BUY the Tickets for the Jungfrau when we Arrive to make sure the day is Clear. Your WEB Site has a ton of information about everything. I will be reviewing all the highlights.

I am sure you have been asked these questions a lot since TIME is so short during Trips. The hardest part of planning is trying to group what is possible to see in 1 Day.

Do you have any List of Possible Places that can be Seen/Visited in 1 Day? If yes then I can Build my daily Plan> Thank You SO Much

Arno
    15483 posts
    6 February 2016 at 6:24:50 #848198

Hi apizzoli,

The general advice is to have a wish list and be flexible: watch the weather forecast and then decide what to do on the next day. We don’t have lists of what can be combined in a day. That really depends on what you want and your pace of travel. Some people, for example, take a whole day to visit Mount Rigi. They enjoy the view on the top, have a coffee, take pictures, do a short walk, and take a boat back to Lucerne. Others “rush” up to the top, proceed to another mountain in the afternoon, and do a city walk in the evening. It’s a matter of personal preferences and studying the timetable.

Here are a few useful pages:

Let us know if you have remaining questions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    6 February 2016 at 9:21:41 #848199

<<“The hardest part of planning is trying to group what is possible to see in 1 Day. Do you have any List of Possible Places that can be Seen/Visited in 1 Day? If yes then I can Build my daily Plan>”>>

Your overall plan that you laid out in your first post is mostly reasonable, and allows enough time in different places to enjoy them .

One possible exception – your first day:

<<“We are Taking a Train From Vareena to Tirano then Taking the Local Trainfrom Tirano to Chur. Then Chur to Zurich.We are spending 1 day in Zurich”>>

I do not understand “Vareena.” The closest that the timetable comes to that name is Varena in Lithuania, and that is an 18 hour train ride from Tirano.

If you mean the Vereina Tunnel, one end is at Klosters and the other is near Susch in the Engadine.

From Susch to Tirano and return to Chur takes 7 to 9 hours, and covers a lot of the same tracks twice. From Chur to Zürich takes another 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours.

If that is your intent, you have to get to Susch to start the trip.

I suspect a misspelling of “Vareena.”

Please help.

For planning the travel times, including those within the Jungfrau Region, such as from Lauterbrunnen – not Lauternbrunnen – you have spelled it both ways 😉 – to Jungfraujoch or Schilthorn, or for planning trips by boat/train/bus/cable car near Luzern, to the Rigi or Pilatus or Titlis, the time table and a map are pretty much a necessity.

Same for travel from Luzern to to Lauterbrunnen.

Use the timetable at the SBB website-

http://www.sbb.ch/en/home.htm l

(which takes you to the main SBB rail website, where you may choose Italian if you like)

or,use the direct link in this website –

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

which takes you directly to the timetable, and gives some instructions on how to use it.

There is a special map for Switzerland, with lots of useful options in the menus, and which gives more of those optional details focused on Switzerland than does Google Maps. Sometimes I use both, particularly if I am coming from outside Switzerland

map.search.ch/

If you use the links to city or regional information that Arno or Annika provided, in this “My Swiss Alps Website”

http://www.myswissalps.com/wh eretogo

that will give you some ideas about what to do at a particular place. There are always many more than you can do in one or two days. Too prepare a list of what can be done in one day is not really possible, because at each of the places you have named, there are dozens of places to go to or things to see, all within a varying distances (and times) from any one location.

Here is one example of the hundreds of things in the Jungfrau region,some of which cannot be done in the Low Seasons, or in the heavy snows of the winter seasons.:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim

You can also get information from :

http://www.myswitzerland.com/ en-us/home.html

Once you have picked some things that interest you, check the map and the timetable. Allow time for a meal or a coffee or sightseeing, as you wish. As Annika has pointed out…that varies a lot by individual preferences.

If you ask – “Can I see which mountains can visit in one day – the Rigi, Pilatus, Titlis ? “

even that is hard to pin down because there are faster train routes to the top of the Rigi from Luzern via Arth Goldau, or slower routes with different scenery by boat to Vitznau then rail to the top…..etc. At least, that can be answered, however. An answer is “Any two if you rush, but you may not have time to enjoy the locations.”

At the end of April, hiking in the higher altitudes near the Jungfrau will be difficult since snow will block many trails. Some of the hotels and and cable cars may be closed for lack of customers….that is “Low Season” in the high alps. Between ski season and Summer season.

Have fun planning.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    6 February 2016 at 17:28:22 #848200

Maybe it’s Varenna?

Varenna to Tirano to Chur makes sense- 5 1/2 to 6 3/4 hours. Another hour and a half or thereabouts to Zürich.

Sorry for the confusion.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 February 2016 at 2:59:42 #848201

HI There, Thanks for All of this Information. I will be reviewing it this weekend. I have been Busy.

Yes we will start the Trip Varena Italy Train near Lake Cuomo go to Tirano. Then from Tirano connect to the Local train to go Up the Bernina Express Train Line. Using a Local/regular train. after arriving in Chur we will Connect to Zurich. Stay there for 1 day then go to Lucerne for 2 days. Have not made Plans for Lucerne as of today. I hope to review all your Ideas..

THANKS Aldo

I

• The thread ‘Trip to Switzerland in April-2016, what to see?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.