Trip to Switzerland in Nov

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 October 2011 at 8:27:42 #804773

Hi,

I’m going to Switzerland on Nov. Have plan my trip out but not sure whether this plan is alright.

Day 1 – From Milan to Interlaken. Reach about noon time. Any ideas where can I go for half day trip?

Day 2- One day trip from Interlaken to Jungfrau. Found out from the website http://www.jungfrau.ch/en/tourism/travel-information/tickets-fares/ . Should i book from this website or direct go to railway station to buy it?

Day 3 – Interlaken to Lucern/Zurich. I’m still thinking whether to stop by Lucern in the afternoon and go to Zurich in the evening. I have booked the hotel in Zurich. So is it worth to stop by at Lucern? Bare in mind that we have to bring along our luggage when we walk around in Lucern.

Day 4 – Shopping and walk around in Zurich and head back to London at night.

Please advise if I should get any of the Swiss pass for these few days.

Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 October 2011 at 4:04:06 #834458

Anybody could giv me some suggestion and advise? Will appreciate that alot and thank you very much. =)

Arno
    15471 posts
    4 October 2011 at 13:20:33 #834459

Sure daphaniewong, we always answer all posts. November is low season, which means that quite some mountain transport and other attractions could be closed for maintenance. So you need to check opening times and timetables before you go somewhere. This page lists some ideas for the Interlaken area. A short hike would be nice as well, if the weather permits.

Jungfrau tickets can just be purchased on the spot, e.g. at the rail station of Interlaken Ost. Lucerne has a beautiful old town centre, so it’s definitely worth a visit. You can put your luggage in lockers at the rail station.

You can best purchase a Swiss Half Fare Card for your trip.

Have fun!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 October 2011 at 1:01:31 #834460

Oh, so I guess this is the wrong time to travel. Anyway do you know whether Jungfrau will open because that is the main attraction.

I realise that is another card which is Swiss Flexi Pass which is suitable for 3-4 days travel in Swiss. So which card will suit me better. Swiss Half Fare Card or Swiss Flexi Pass 4 days?

Arno
    15471 posts
    5 October 2011 at 13:30:36 #834461

Hi daphaniewong,

The Jungfrau railway is open. Just fill out your date in the timetable for details. The Swiss Half Fare Card is better if you’re looking for the most economical solution, because you stay relatively short and it provides more discount on your most expensive trip: to the Jungfrau. You can calculate exact travel costs if you want to. A 4-day Swiss Pass would be more convenient as you don’t have to buy tickets, except for the mountain trips.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 October 2011 at 5:12:29 #834462

I am leo going to Zermatt on Nov 6th and 7th and than to interlaken for 2 days and 1 day to Zurich and out. please advise me on weather in here areas like will it be possible to go around murren and wengen area by train and is the zermatt cable car operates in these dates..though this is my second visit but that was in july 2009.i wanna feel the same area in november…can i still see the greenery on the mountains or there will be snow..OR whether i should think of changing the whole idea of this area…. I have alternate itenery if the weather is not good in interlaken i want to go for cruise on the both lakes and than in lucern also…but still not sure about the weather ..

Arno
    15471 posts
    11 October 2011 at 14:41:08 #834463

Hi akjay123,

November is low season so some cable cars could be closed. You can check the timetable for details. The landscape will look like autumn or winter, depending on the location, elevation and the weather circumstances once you’re there. It can be a beautiful month though!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 October 2011 at 6:33:44 #834464

Hi Moderator,
    Similar questions I have:
    1. Which the nearest city if I would like to visit Jungfrau (Interlaken or Lucerne?)? (I am travelling from Amsterdam, should I take a train or plane to Geneva or Zurich?)
    2. If I want to join a day tour, is it better to book in advance or on the spot?

cheers

Arno
    15471 posts
    16 October 2011 at 3:58:03 #834465

Hi keblinger,

Interlaken is the nearest to the Jungfrau. Coming from Amsterdam by train, you would travel via Basel in most cases. You can check the timetable for details. By plane, Zurich would be the best place to land, although Geneva is possible as well.

You don’t need to book in advance, but you can do so if you prefer a guided tour. I’m not sure how popular these tours are, but in either case, do not book for a fixed date in advance. You first need to be sure the weather is clear, and you can’t know until the day before.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 October 2011 at 11:47:23 #834466

Hi Moderator,
    Please advise, is it better to stay in Interlaken or Lucerne? which city have more attarctions?

cheers

Annika
    7104 posts
    18 October 2011 at 3:03:34 #834467

Hi keblinger. Both Interlaken and Lucerne have lots of attractions. Lucerne as a city is a bit more attractive than Interlaken, but Interlaken is closer to the highest alps. If you want to visit the Jungfraujoch, Interlaken would be the best choice.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 November 2011 at 0:20:37 #834468

This is a neat forum. Thanks for seeting it up.
    I have a problem, I am going to stay in Zurich 5 days in November. I want to go to the hotel in Kleine Scheidegg that was featured in the “Eiger Sanction” movie. This is on my bucket list and would also like to take the cog railway to Jungfrauoch.
    Can I do this in one day? We have a swiss flexi pass and have no problem leaving Zurich rail station early in the morning. I say you have rail timetables which would help and have the following questions:
    1. Can I purchase rail tickets for the Jungfrauoch in Grindelwald, or Kleine Scheidegg?
    2. I want to take some time to enjoy a brew at the local hotel Bellvue in Kleine Scheidegg (Clint Eastwood did). Do I have time to spend an hour in the hotel, do the Jungfrauoch trip and return to Zurich in a single day?
    3. Do you have access to rail timetables for the cog railway to the Jungfrauoch?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    duzer… An American that wants to go to Kleine Scheidegg before I croak!!! I am also a mountain hiker / climber and can’t wait to see the Eiger.

thanks

Arno
    15471 posts
    2 November 2011 at 16:14:01 #834469

Hello duzer. I’m glad you like our forum! Yes, you can visit the Jungfraujoch and have a break at Kleine Scheidegg all in one (long) day. Just enter from “Zürich HB” to “Jungfraujoch” in the timetable to see your options. Tickets can be purchased at any station. The hotel Bellevue des Alpes will be closed though, as November is low season. They’re open from mid December.

Have fun!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 November 2011 at 6:52:54 #834470

November is no good time to travel? Which time would you suggest? January or february? Or is it better to come in the summer? Well it might depend what you want to do, right? *haha* I think I will wait until next year when it gets warmer again, then I can enjoy the landscape and the beautiful scenery even more.

Arno
    15471 posts
    14 November 2011 at 14:29:31 #834471

Hi CaraClay,

Well, weather-wise, any month can be great, it’s just that low season limits your options regarding mountain transport and some other attractions such as mountain huts/restaurants. So, yes, it does depends on what you want to do. You can even hike in winter, but it’s totally different than in summer and your options are limited.

• The thread ‘Trip to Switzerland in Nov’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.