Trip to Switzerland in October

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 August 2011 at 6:45:09 #805508

Hi, Myself and my wife are planning for trip to Switzerland between 17th to 24th oct. We would be approximately staying there for 7 nights in toto. After having read through the various threads on this forum, I have planned my trip as under:

Day 1-17th. Arrival to Zurich airport on 17th afternoon and immediately leaving to lucern. Overnight stay st Lucern
    Day 2-18th. Trip to Mt titlis. Overnight stay at Lucern
    Day 3-19th. Trip to Mt. Pilatus.Overnight stay at Lucern
    Day 4-20th. Leave for Interlaken via golden pass line in the morning. visit to Schilthorne/Trummelbach falls, overnight stay at Interlaken.
    Day 5-21st. Visit to Jungfrauch, overnight stay at Interlaken

Now, I am a bit confused as to how to utilize the balance 2 days i.e 22nd and 23rd as I have my flight from zurich on 24th afternoon. (I would definetely like to cover Bernina express from Chur to Tilano and back).

My queries are therefore
    1. How should I plan for 22nd, 23rd and 24th (till 12noon)?
    2. Considering all my travel as mentioned above should I buy the Swiss pass or point to point tickets?? I have read various topics on this but I am still confused. So I would request for a definite answer on this.
    3. Do I need to carry lot many warm clothes?
    4. Also if I can get some travel tips considering my places of visit and travelling time.

Thanks in advance
    Rohit

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    19 August 2011 at 6:04:52 #836853

Hello Rohit, and welcome! Yes, you should definitely use a rail pass instead of point to point tickets, since you plan to make quite some long and expensive trips, especially if you want to include the Bernina Express. The 8 day Swiss Saver Pass may just be what you’re looking for. If you want to ride the Bernina Express, you could travel from Interlaken to St. Moritz or a nearby town on day 6 (you could consider to travel to Brig first and enjoy the Glacier Express route to St. Moritz from Brig onwards), travel to Tirano and back by Bernina Express on day 7, and return to Zurich Airport on day 8. The Swiss timetable helps you to plan all your trips.

Warm clothes are important, first of all for your visits to Titlis, Pilatus and the Jungfraujoch. They’re all at high altitudes and it can be pretty cold up there. There’s even chance of low temperatures and maybe some snow down in the valleys by October.

Does this get you started?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 August 2011 at 1:03:44 #836854

I must thank you for such a clear reply. I am definetely gonna buy the swiss pass and plan out the remaning 2 days as advised. I have even blocked my tickets and have done hotel bookings from Bookings.com. I have few more queries, if you could address:

1. I know I would be doing a lot of travelling. But what’s your view on it? Should I restrict myself in some areas or the plan is ok. We are 2 adults so I hope we would be fine in covering these many areas without much of fuss.?

2. Since I am in India, can I buy the swiss pass online? How will I receive the pass? Also I reckon I have to do reservations for Glacier express, Bernina express and golden pass line only. This I hope can be done online.

3. Since I don’t have a credit card with me, I hope hotels there will accept cash in it’s local currency.

4. Do I need to book anything in advance for trips to Titlis, Pilatus and Jungfraujoch

5. Is there a direct train to Brig from Interlaken and from St. Moritz to Zurich?

6. I know it’s goona be too personal to ask but since I am a vegetarian, do I need to carry my food along with me throughout the journey and trips?

Awaiting your reply.

Thanks…Rohit

Arno
    15483 posts
    20 August 2011 at 2:36:47 #836855

Hi Rohit,

Great! Now, for your remaining questions:

1. I think your itinerary is fine if your goal is to see a lot and do scenic train rides. It’s quite a lot but not too much for that goal I think. Just be prepared that the weather may not always be suitable to visit a mountain top, so you have to be flexible.
    2. Yes, you can order online and receive the pass at home. All options are at the right side of the Swiss Pass page Annika referred to. Rail Europe and TrainTicket are currently the most obvious resellers in your case. Seats reservations can be purcased along with your pass, or separately.
    3. Paying in Swiss francs will not be a problem.
    4. No, you don’t.
    5. There are no direct trains. The timetable shows you where to change.
    6. Most restaurants offer vegetarian dishes. Supermarkts offer lots of vegetarian food.

Have fun!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 August 2011 at 5:08:17 #836856

Thats fantastic….Will revert if needed anything more for this trip…thx.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 September 2011 at 7:34:30 #836857

Could you please guide me on the jungfrau trip from interlaken.. I know that i need to go to Grindelwald by train (free since i will have swiss pass). How should I plan from there on so that I can have both train ride as well as some walking. Also pls advice on return trip.

Annika
    7116 posts
    5 September 2011 at 14:22:12 #836858

Hello Rohit. There are two ways to get to the Jungfraujoch from Interlaken: either via Grindelwald or via Lauterbrunnen and Wengen. I suggest you take one way up and the other one down, so that you can enjoy both beautiful routes. You’ll have to change trains at Kleine Scheidegg in both cases. From Kleine Scheidegg, you can take several hikes before returning. The timetable offers all details.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 September 2011 at 9:53:54 #836859

Thanks for your quick reply. I have further few more queries.

1. After landing at zurich airport, since we need to go to lucerne, is there a train station at the airport itself from where we can catch our train or we need to come out of the airport?
    2. If station is there at the airport itself, can we use our swiss pass for going to lucerne from the airport station.
    3. As understood from various forums, we have to get the pass validated. Can we get it validated at the zurich airport?
    4. Since we intend to visit the Rhine falls also on the last day, wouldn’t it be right to leave Chur on 23rd itself and stay overnight in Zurich instead of travelling early morning on 24th from Chur to Zurich and then going to Rhine falls and return. (our return flight from zurich to India is at 3 pm on 24th)

Arno
    15483 posts
    8 September 2011 at 10:21:39 #836860

Hi Rohit,

There is a train station at Zurich airport. You can have your pass validated there as well. Your pass can be used for any Swiss rail service, including Zurich airport – Lucerne. The map linked from the Swiss Pass page shows you all the details regarding free and discounted traveling.

I would also choose to travel to Zurich or Schaffhausen on the 23th. Less traveling on the 24th would make that day more relaxed.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 September 2011 at 20:39:27 #836861

Hi, I have a friend who is currently in Switzerland now and its snowing with blizzard. So they didnt have much of a view when they were in Bernese Oberland. I will be going in October. Does that mean the weather will continue to be as foggy or is there a chance that it will be better?

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    21 September 2011 at 2:19:31 #836862

Although now one can promise you anything about the weather: I spoke to our friends who live in Switzerland on the phone yesterday and they mentioned the weather would be getting better. Today, for example, it’s beautiful up there!
    You can see weather forecasts on SF1 Meteo or Meteoschweiz.

I have been in Switzerland more than once in October and had beautiful weather as well as snow. One can never tell, especially during these months.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 September 2011 at 1:02:14 #836863

ok. so glad to hear that there is still a chance for good weather. just worried that this is a cold year. thanks !!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 September 2011 at 10:43:53 #836864

Hi annika,

Just wanted to know is buying the swiss pass at Zurich airport station possible or I have to buy it before hand only. Also can I do reservations for glacier express, golden line, bernina express at this station itself?

Annika
    7116 posts
    25 September 2011 at 11:16:04 #836865

Hello Rohit,

Yes you can buy it there. It’s the “Buy in Switzerland” option listed on the Swiss Pass page, but it’s more expensive than some of the other options listed there. Reservations can be done at the airport as well, but of course it’s always better to book well in advance if you want to be sure you’ll get your preferred seats.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 July 2012 at 7:45:05 #836866

Hello rohit,
    Got a lot of guidances through your itinerary.i am travelling with my mom and sister to zurich on 12th oct and have a return flight to Mumbai from Zurich on 19th oct.i have not prepared my itinerary.if you are set with your plans could you please send me your plan of stay, visit places.would be a great help.its my moms 60th birthday and so want to make most out of it for us.please guide me.waiting for your reply.thank you in advance.
    Deepa.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 July 2012 at 17:17:55 #836867

Please guide me for my trip to Switzerland.coming there for 6 days and 7 days in month of October.not very sure from where to start.want a easy stay.may be 2 places max.please help.
    Regards,
    Deepa.

Annika
    7116 posts
    4 August 2012 at 4:07:48 #836868

Welcome deepa! I think you can best open a new topic for your question, rather than attaching it to an existing thread. It would also help if you can be more specific about your preferences and your own ideas. In the meantime, you can browse the forum and the sections on the Bernese Oberland, Wallis and Graubünden to get some ideas.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 August 2012 at 9:02:15 #836869

Where do I post my query,please let me know.

Annika
    7116 posts
    5 August 2012 at 2:09:12 #836870

Hi Deepa. Just log in, get to the rail forum and click ‘Start new topic’ (in the upper right corner, just above the topic list).

• The thread ‘Trip to Switzerland in October’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.