Trip to Zermatt

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 August 2013 at 21:11:36 #806160

I am visiting Zermatt next week using my swisspass and would like to ask a few questions :

1) Travelling from Zurich HB to Zermatt. Do I need to change train in between and at where is the change.
    Which train station should I stop upon arrival at Zermatt. I have booked a room at Le Petit Hotel.

2) I want to visit “The Matterhorn”. Understand this is different from “Matterhorn Glacier Paradise” which is more
    man-made. Is there any costs for going up “The Matterhorn” as I know there is a charge for Glacier Paradise.
    Is the cable car station for going up “The Matterhorn” the same as Glacier Paradise. What is the cable car
    frequency for “The Matterhorn”.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    31 August 2013 at 12:17:17 #839211

Hi mel99! There’s only one train station in Zermatt. You can look up the route to your hotel at an online map like map.search.ch. The trip from Zurich requires one change of trains in Visp. All details are in the timetable.

You can’t get up the Matterhorn itself. You can indeed get rather close to it and have good views from Matterhorn Glacier Paradise. Other viewing points with good views are Sunnegga/Rothorn and Gornergrat. This map at Zermatt Tourism will be helpful. All trips are discounted with your Swiss Pass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 September 2013 at 10:47:00 #839212

Hi Annika,

Thank you very much for the clear explanation. One last question. For each of the trip up to Matterhorn Glacier Paradise and Gornergrat, how long will each take for a return trip back to the town at Zermatt.

Annika
    7104 posts
    2 September 2013 at 9:53:51 #839213

Hello Mel99. Zermatt-Gornergrat is about 40 minutes for a single trip, Zermatt-Klein Matterhorn about 50 minutes. These trips too can be found in the timetable.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 September 2013 at 9:57:08 #839214

Thank you very much.

• The thread ‘Trip to Zermatt’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.