Trummelbach falls in the rain?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 May 2017 at 1:40:26 #811728

Would visiting the trummelbach falls in the rain make sense? If not how about the Aare Gorge? Other recommendations to experience the Alps in inclement weather?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

AlanPrice
    Participant
    279 posts
    8 May 2017 at 4:52:46 #862964

Hi,

The Trummelbach falls are good to visit in the rain, you’re going to get wet in any case, there is quite a lot of spray in some sections, so good wet weather gear is required. I don’t know if the falls can flood, some of the other forum members may know more.

Alan

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 May 2017 at 23:18:10 #862965

>> Would visiting the trummelbach falls in the rain make sense? If not how about the Aare Gorge? Other recommendations to experience the Alps in inclement weather?

Yes, I think the Aare Gorge would also be a good wet-weather choice. Sections of it are under cover, and much of the walking surface is a wooden walkway. Shoes should have good traction and be suitable for wearing in the rain of course!

People often recommend wearing a raincoat due to the spray anyway. I didn’t find it necessary in September, but I can imagine it would be different in spring and early summer, when more melting snow is feeding the river.

In wet weather, I would recommend retracing your steps in the gorge to exit at the west end rather than the east end. The track at the east end, which leads down to the Aareschlucht Ost (East) station, is steep, narrow, and rough under foot, and probably not a good option if it is slippery as well.

Other bad weather alternatives for the Jungfrau Region, that have been mentioned in various places in this forum, include:

— Boat trips on Lake Brienz and Lake Thun

— Ballenberg Museum

— Grindelwald Glacier Gorge

— St Beatus Caves

— City visits to Thun, Bern, Luzern

Some of them involve a bit of travel, but if you have a Swiss Travel Pass, your travel will be covered.

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Trummelbach falls in the rain?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.