Two day trip to Interlaken, which rail pass?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 August 2015 at 12:20:20 #807703

Hi ,

I am visiting interlaken for 2 days this weekend …and i pretty confused about which pass to take originally i had planned my iternary like this

1> saturday -8 aug –> Jungfraujoch – (if whether is bad what is the alternate option to spend the day? )

2> Sunday -9-Aug –> Harder klum and the lakes

But really confused how to move about ,since the trip is only for 2 days and jungfrau tickets costs a heaven ..Can someone please advice on the itenary and which rail pass to take ..

Thanks ….

Regards

Wasim

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15478 posts
    5 August 2015 at 13:18:11 #845070

Hi Wasim,

The best option to consider is the Swiss Half Fare Card. It is not very expensive to buy and offers a 50% discount on all tickets. So you save a lot on the Jungfraujoch ticket, but you can also use it for Harder Kulm, boat trips and more. Your train tickets to and from Interlaken will be discounted too.

As you’re in Germany your best buy would normally be through http://www.acprail.com/rail-passes/swiss-half-fare-card, but if you need it this weekend it’s going to be tight with delivery. They do offer express delivery (check their site for details). If this does not work for you, you can get it from a staffed rail station, although not as cheap as through ACP Rail. All purchase options are listed on myswissalps.com/ swisshalffarecard/ price.

Would this be a solution for you?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 August 2015 at 13:37:02 #845071

Hi ,

Thanks for the reply ..But since the travel plan is only for 2 days would this help ?

We are 2persons + kid (2 year old) …..and my start point is Interlaken Ost.

Do we get any 2 day travel pass in switzerland which also covers Jungfrau ? Can you help me with best possible options ….

Thanks much ..

Wasim

Arno
    15478 posts
    5 August 2015 at 14:05:19 #845072

Hi Wasim,

I don’t see any other option, assuming you’re planning to do the more expensive trips if the weather allows. There is no 2-day pass. There is a 3-day Jungfrau VIP Pass, but the problem with that option is that you pretty much pay for the Jungfraujoch trip in advance (it is included). So if the weather is bad it’s a waste of money. With the Swiss Half Fare Card you don’t pay that much for the pass itself, but still save more than CHF 100 per adult on the Jungfraujoch ticket if the weather is fine to go up. The child travels along for free in any case.

Of course you can simply buy standard priced point to point tickets. Specifically for the Jungfraujoch trip, you can still save a bit by traveling in the early morning or late afternoon (see here). If you book a hotel in Interlaken, local buses etc. will be free, please see here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 August 2015 at 15:03:18 #845073

Thanks Arno ,

few questions

1> Is there a single day travel pass ?

2> My hotel is in Hauptstrasse Ringgenberg …. ,So can i still take the local transport for free ? Or should i check in the hotel first collect the visitor card only then the local transport becomes free ..

Sorry for lot of questions ..but looks like it would be an expensive one for anyone who decides spend only 2 days in switzerland …:)

Regards

Wasim

Arno
    15478 posts
    5 August 2015 at 15:25:23 #845074

Hi Wasim,

You’re most welcome!

1) No, there is not. There is one for Swiss Half Fare Card holders, but that would not make sense for your short trip. It does not include cable cars and cogwheel trains anyway.

2) You first need the visitors card. You will get one when you check in. Once you have it, buses between Ringgenberg and Interlaken are free.

It could indeed become expensive, but only if you choose the more expensive trips like Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn. If you settle for boat trips and Harder Kulm it will be affordable. Harder Kulm is 50% discounted with the visitors card. It’s nothing like Jungfraujoch, but the view from there is very nice. The visitors card also includes free bus rides to Beatenberg, and a 20% discount on the cable car to the Niederhorn.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 August 2015 at 15:37:25 #845075

Thanks you very much again ..

I would be grateful if you could suggest any thing better you know of for the two day trip…

Regards

Wasim

Arno
    15478 posts
    5 August 2015 at 15:45:45 #845076

Hi Wasim,

Sorry, I am out of options now. I hope one of the options suits your needs.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 August 2015 at 15:52:07 #845077

Hey thanks for the suggestions ..You too have a nice weekend ahead ..

Regards

Wasim

• The thread ‘Two day trip to Interlaken, which rail pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10950 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.