Two days in Basel with a mountain trip, any ideas?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 October 2016 at 15:49:30 #810210

hi –

I have only two days in Switzerland and will be staying in Basel. I want to spend one day exploring Basel but the next day I could take a day trip to see some lovely mountains, and I wonder if any one can recommend a good cheep day trip for me that I can do from Basel. We would like to see the real Switzerland, fresh air, mountains, maybe snow.. but I know that my not be possible as our visit is the 22 nd to 23 of October. I have also found out that a lot of tourist places are shut at that time of the year.

My ideal trip would be to go by train (cheep train – around 40 CHF each return), to a lovely mountain village or town. Go up mountain on a gondola, have a look at the lovely view, maybe a walk around a lake, then back to Basel in time for dinner. Also with a stop in a old town, with shops and coffee houses, on the way back would be great.

Any ideas?

Also if you have any ideas on what NOT to miss in Basel, then I would love to read these too.

Thank you to anyone who can suggest anything.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 October 2016 at 9:40:08 #856457

Unfortunately Switserland is not a cheap country……

By train from Basel to the mountains for only 20 Chf one way is not posible.

You can see the trainprice on SBB.CH. From Basel to Luzern is Chf. 33,- one way and than you in the city, not in the mountains around Luzern.

To the Berner Oberland is more expensive. Beautiful mountains but it cost a lot more………

• The thread ‘Two days in Basel with a mountain trip, any ideas?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10620 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.