Hiking boots and cellular coverage in Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 June 2017 at 21:50:06 #812309

I have two quick questions that I’m hoping can be answered:

1. Are hiking boot recommended for easy/moderate hiking trails
    2. How is the cellular coverage throughout the country?

Thanks and looking forward to seeing the beautiful country July 1st.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    17 June 2017 at 23:08:06 #865333

Hi Lichtfi-

Phone –

Here is the Swisscom coverage map, which you can check at 2G, 3G or 4G service levels:

scmplc.begasoft.ch/plc app/pages/gis/netzabde ckung.jsf?lang=en

There are other networks, but Swisscom has the best coverage.

Boots –

I always wear boots for ankle support. If the trail has gravel or slippery surfaces, it can still be called “easy.” I am much more comfortable with ankle support, no matter what the trail is called. . However, the official trail ratings only require boots once you use the (red marked) “mountain trails.” See links below. By the way, the Swiss trails can have substantial ups and downs, which don’t seem to bother the Swiss, but occasionally slow me down.

This web site is a good resource:

map.wanderland.ch/?lang=de&route=all&bgLa yer=pk&resolution=100& X=631700&Y=147650&laye rs=Wanderland

Also:

http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king

and –

http://www.alpenwild.com/stat icpage/trail-signs-in-the-swiss-alps/

Slowpoke

I also like to have at least one hiking staff.

Others may find my approach to be conservative. I find it to be comfortable and safe.

Slowpoke

Arno
    15484 posts
    18 June 2017 at 14:33:55 #865334

Hi Lichtfi,

For the very easy flat trails in the valleys sneakers are just fine, but for anything more serious I do what Slowpoke does: sturdy hiking shoes and a pole.

Cellular coverage is very good, just don’t count on it in very remote locations. I don’t think I’ve had any issues with coverage wherever I went with the SIM card and mobile hotspot discussed here.

• The thread ‘Hiking boots and cellular coverage in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.