Two weeks in Wengen

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 May 2011 at 3:21:17 #804283

Hello been considering a two week stay at the Bernerhof in Wengen. It is a package deal and a bargain (for Switzerland anyway) and includes breakfast and dinner. I have looked at doing a multi centre stay independently but costing wise this is more expensive and does not include meals.

So is two weeks staying in Wengen alone too long ?

Aims to do a lot of walking, aim to improve fitness .

How is the Bererhof ? Basic I know but what are the meals like ?

If I use local transport, gondolas , post buses and trains to reach other trails is it worth buying any of the passes ? I’d expect to use some form of transport for at least 5 days out of the fortnight.

Many thanks Phillip

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    10 May 2011 at 9:39:54 #832800

Hi Philip, and welcome! I don’t think you’ll get bored during a two weeks stay in Wengen. It’s a lovely village with stunning views, lots of hiking possibilities, mountain trains and cable cars, and so on. So if the offer of the Bernerhof hotel in Wengen is an economical option, I think you should go for it. Our day trip and hiking overview may help you prepare for your holidays. I don’t have personal experience with the hotel you mention, but you’ll find lots of reviews on the internet. And maybe other forum visitors know this hotel?

Yes, a rail pass will definitely come in handy if you make use of public transport on some of the days. You could consider the following options:
    – a Swiss Half Fare Card, which offers a 50% discounts on lots of trips in Switzerland. The Swiss Half Fare Card costs CHF 110.00, and only a few rides in expensive mountain trains or cable cars will make it cost effective. As the pass is valid throughout the entire country, it’s especially suitable if you consider to leave the immediate region a few times. You may want to do so to explore a bit more than just the Wengen region, or if weather is bad there but nice in other areas;
    – a Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland may be the right choice if you plan to stay within the Bernese Oberland mainly, and if want to make extensive use of public transport during a few days (for example when making a round trip by public transport). The Regional-Pass offers a few days of free travelling and a few days with discounts. Please check the current regional pass offer to see if that’s interesting to you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 May 2011 at 16:00:47 #832801

If you are an active walker, I think basing yourself there for two weeks will be a fantastic break. I’m biased, first went when I was 18 and now taking the children back for their third fortnight walking in Grindelwald; they are all pleading for “no car” just use the railways and cable cars. We find the jungfraubahnen pass works well for the walking and our favourite walk – its quite a long one – and don’t miss the last train – is from the top of the cable car at First accross to schynnige platte. The paths are expertly signed and you can pick up a schematic plan of the walks from tourist information as well as paying for proper maps. I have both but have only used the schematic in probably 6 walking holidays there. 2 otehr great walks are the ones down eiterh side of Eigergletscher under the north face of the Eiger on one side and all the way down to LAuterbrunnen – albeit via wengen via mittlenalp.
    suggest that in a fortnight you will want to do lake trips and slightly firther afoot than pure jungfraubahnen pass will allow – you may want to marry with swiss flexi pass – which I have checked does also give you discount on jungfraubahnen pass as well as free days travel of your choice. am about to do the sums as rto which of the pass options I will use – but I expect it to be that one

Enjoy

Arno
    15483 posts
    12 May 2011 at 3:48:40 #832802

Excellent tips Richard, thanks! For the other readers: details on the trail from First to Schynige Platte can be found here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 May 2011 at 3:52:14 #832803

Thanks for the replies, two weeks booked from June 15th.

Will need those two weeks to unwind after getting bad news !

Looking forward to vanishing into the mountains.

Arno
    15483 posts
    12 May 2011 at 4:01:27 #832804

Hi Phillip,

The Swiss Alps are an excellent place to relax and set your mind to something else (or nothing at all). I hope you have a great trip. Please feel free to let us know how it was for you!

• The thread ‘Two weeks in Wengen’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.