Train types and coverage under Swiss Travel Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2016 at 22:08:04 #809641

Hi

I am doing 10 days in Switzerland from 25July onwards. I am travelling with family (2 children 5 and 8 years) I have purchased a swiss travel pass for 8 consecutive days. I had a few questions

1. At the end of the 8 days can i extend the travel pass for a the balance 2 days of my journey if i want to?

2. During my stay I will be travelling on the following trains IC (Intercity), IR (Inter regio), R (Regio). Does my Swiss Travel Pass cover all these trains? Since I am travelling with Children should I be booking reserved seats on any of these trains? Is reservation compulsory on any of the trains.

3. Do i need to validate tickets before boarding a train if I have a STP?

4. I understand that to some location i.e. Jungfraujoch or the Pilatus mountains I need to travel on the Cogwheel trains. Also I understand that on the cogwheel train I need to pay 50% of the fare with my STP. Do i need to buy these tickets in advance? Are reservations required?

5. Finally when I look up an itinerary to Junfraujoch or Pilatus mountains on SBB timetable, it does not mention any cogwheel train? why is that? what is the Train identification code for cogwheel trains?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    11 July 2016 at 6:35:46 #853955

Hi premj,

1. Unfortunately that’s not possible.

2. Train types are not relevant, only the covered routes are. Please see myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass/ validity. You don’t need to book seats: myswissalps.com/ train/reservations.

3. You do not need tickets because you have a pass.

4. You don’t need to buy in advance (but you can) and you don’t need reservations (but you can in some cases). Please see myswissalps.com/ pilatus/tickets and myswissalps.com/ jungfraujoch/ tickets for details and exceptions.

5. The mode of transport is mostly mentioned in the timetable, but I guess any train is a train to them, whether it’s a regular train, cogwheel train, narrow gauge, funicular, etc.

• The thread ‘Train types and coverage under Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.