UK travelers: buy passes before the price increase

• Arno
    15471 posts
    28 January 2015 at 7:00:13 #803709

Dear travelers,

As announced recently, it’s much cheaper to buy your passes online than at the station in Switzerland. However, the online prices in GBP will be increased by about 10% on February 2, 2015. If you live in the UK or Ireland, now is the time to purchase your passes for this year!

To purchase at the current low price, please visit the Swiss Railways webshop at http://www.swisstravelsystem. co.uk.

Low prices in GBP are also still available via http://www.acprail.com, but I don’t know how long that will last.

All points of sale can be found on our pass page, like the Swiss Travel Pass page.

Hopefully you can take advantage of this. Enjoy your train rides!

Arno

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 January 2015 at 21:09:59 #841653

Hi, I’m new to this site but finding it very useful! So thank you! My husband and I are off with friends to Switzerland in our motorhomes in June. We were going to purchase Swiss Half Fare Cards so, after receiving the notice re increased prices, I logged onto the Swiss Travel System page and began to order our passes. However, just as I was about to put in my card details a message came up stating that you cannot order the card more than two months ahead of your holiday. So unfortunately I have been unable to take up this offer. Thought other members might be interested in this. Shame, as 10% is a big increase!

Arno
    15471 posts
    28 January 2015 at 21:46:10 #841654

Thanks for your compliment Gily6855! That note about the 2 months is just about the issueing of the passes. You can go ahead and purchase now, they just won’t send the passes right away because your trip is more than 2 months away. There are people ordering a year in advance, so that’s no problem whatsoever.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 January 2015 at 12:40:20 #841655

Hi Arno,

Thanks for the info. Do all prices generally increase during Feb time-frame? I will be buying shortly from Canada. Also, does buying through 3rd party provide any extras rather than buying from SBB directly?

2 things I noticed, thought wud share, lower online cost is offset by CHF45 shipping fee they r charging to send the cards to me here and also if you try to buy online before 2 month of your start date, it’s greyed out, does not allow.

Arno
    15471 posts
    29 January 2015 at 13:29:40 #841656

Hi marchendtrip,

This announcement is just for travelers from the UK and Ireland. For the UK, there are no shipping costs for those why prefer to receive physical tickets. But if one selects “Online Ticket”, the pass can be printed at home and hence there is no shipping fee either.

You’re from Canada. If you prefer to order through the SBB, you’d better not use the UK site, but the international SBB webshop. Payment is in Swiss francs there. For a better deal you can order through your local Canadian reseller here: raileurope.ca/rail-tickets-passes/swiss-pass/index.html. Those prices are much lower at the moment. I don’t know how long they will keep that up through.

Regardless of where you live you can always compare prices in the Price sections of any of our pass pages, like here. Please check if your country of residence is set correctly on that page. It should be okay automatically.

I have not experienced the 2 month limit. I just tried to order for June and that worked. Which exact website were you trying?

• The thread ‘UK travelers: buy passes before the price increase’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.