Want to book hotels in Lucerne and Wengen

• msra7hm2
    Participant
    63 posts
    30 April 2015 at 18:03:24 #807158

Hi

I am about to book my flight and hotels and just need your green light for my honeymoon plan.

2 October to 5 October (3 Nights) in Lucerne in Hotel Seeburg Twin Room Lake View

5 October to 10 October (5 Nights) in Wengen in Sunstar Alpine Hotel Wengen Valley view

How are these hotels in terms of the views? Am I making a right choice? I am also buying the Swiss Pass and planning to go to Zurich Airport directly from Wengen on 10th October. Because I am traveling to Zurich on the 9th day, my pass will be expired, Is there a way I can be more efficient somehow.

Thank you all.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    30 April 2015 at 20:30:47 #842808

Hi msra7hm2,

Hotel Seeburg is overlooking the lake and Mount Pilatus. Really nice, provided that you book a lakeside room. The Sunstar is overlooking the Lauterbrunnen valley from the west side rooms (my preference). You’ll be looking towards the mountains from the east side rooms, but I don’t know how wide the view is. Please see here to find good rates:

If you end your stay in Lucerne the ticket on your last day is cheaper as it’s closer to Zurich. Another option is to stay one night in Zurich and travel the evening of day 8.

The light has turned green!

msra7hm2
    Participant
    63 posts
    1 May 2015 at 0:31:54 #842809

Wow thanks for those links!

I see that Hotels Baeren and Eldelweiss are available for the same price as Sunstar and the ratings of the former are better than Sunstar.

Why are the former better rated despite being from lower star category.

Arno
    15483 posts
    1 May 2015 at 6:30:22 #842810

Well, the hotel category and user rating are not necessarily related. A 1-star hotel can have an excellent rating if it offers value for money. But it’s still very different from a 4- or 5-star hotel.

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    1 May 2015 at 15:01:43 #842811

As Arno said, the star rating has nothing to do with the quality of the hotel. It refers only to the amenities the hotel provides. For example, the Sunstar has a spa with pool and a large bar/commons area; neither the Bären nor Edelweiss do. Therefore Sunstar gets a higher star rating.

Sunstar sits in the middle of the village. It recently underwent an update and I have not been inside since that happened. It has always been a fine hotel, on the larger side and often caters to tour groups. However, there likely won’t be many of those during the dates of your stay.

Bären is more casual but is very nice and has some of the best food in the entire region. The restaurant has always been a favorite of ours and local residents. It is usually quite crowded, but won’t be in early October. It is a smaller family-run hotel. Edelweiss is also a small hotel run by a charming young couple and I’ve heard the food there is also very good. I have only been in the reception area of the Edelweiss but can tell you that the visitors that were checking out were effusive in their praise for the staff, food, and their entire stay.

Both Bären and Edelweiss are a short walk (about 5 mins) from village center in a beautiful area that looks out over the Lauterbrunnen Valley.

So if you want a large hotel with a spa, pool, and large commons area pick Sunstar. If you want something more intimate, pick one of the other two.

Arno
    15483 posts
    1 May 2015 at 15:08:48 #842812

Thanks Kim! Excellent insiders info again.

• The thread ‘Want to book hotels in Lucerne and Wengen’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.