Using Bernese Oberland Pass Zurich-Wengen-Geneva

• Stuart
    Participant
    5 posts
    26 July 2017 at 13:57:25 #812752

Hi,

My wife and I will be traveling to Switzerland in late August, arriving in Zurich by train from Salzburg on August 29. We will leave Zurich and travel by train to Wengen on August 30, and we will be staying in Wengen for five nights. On Sunday, September 3, we will travel to Geneva by Golden Pass train. We will be in Geneva for three nights, departing for home (in the US) on September 6.

We have purchased 1/2 Fare cards for our trip, and I intend to purchase Bernese Oberland Passes for part or all of our time. However, I’m not sure how the BOP apply on our travel from Zurich on August 30 or to Geneva on September 3.

(1) A portion of the trip from Zurich to Wengen obviously is within the scope of the BOP. If I purchase Bernese Oberland Passes with a start date of August 30, should we just purchase train tickets to Bern, and then use the Passes for the balance of the trip?

(2) How does the Bernese Oberland Pass apply to the portion of the Golden Pass train within the Pass area? Since our only travel on September 3 will be from Wengen to Interlaken Ost, and then on the Golden Pass train to Montreux (and then on to Geneva), does it make sense to purchase Bernese Oberland Passes covering September 3?

Thanks for your help!

Stuart

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 July 2017 at 17:00:58 #867419

Hi Stuart and welcome to MySwissAlps!

1. Yes, Bern or Luzern. See the map of what is covered the the Regional Pass – Bernese Oberland here.
    2. You can see the details on the link above for this route as well. It covers you as far as Saanen and then you need a ticket (at 50% off) for the rest of the trip to Montreux. Montreux to Geneva is not part of the Golden Pass route, nor is it covered by the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland. The pass is only available for 4 or 6 (or more) days. So it would be valid from Aug 30 to Sep.2 or 4.

Let me know if you have more questions!

Lucas

Stuart
    Participant
    5 posts
    27 July 2017 at 17:26:53 #867420

Thank you!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 July 2017 at 14:40:53 #867421

(1) I think the trip from Zurich via Luzern is an hour longer, but more scenic since you get the first part of the "goldenpass" route this way.. Also, if you have the BO pass for this day, the cost of the ticket you have to buy from Zurich to Luzern is around $10 vs $28 for Zurich to Bern.

Stuart
    Participant
    5 posts
    28 July 2017 at 16:04:07 #867422

Thanks for the idea of going via Luzern; I’ll check on the times to see if we can use the Luzern route.

• The thread ‘Using Bernese Oberland Pass Zurich-Wengen-Geneva’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.