Using the 7 day Berner Oberland pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 April 2012 at 5:34:12 #805150

Hello,
    We are thinking about buying the 7 day Berner Oberland passes that are currently on a 2- for- 1 sale.
    The passes offer free travel for 3 days, and a 50% reduction for the remaining 4 days on selected routes.

My question is, for the 3 free travel days, would we simply get on a train and show our passes to
    the person who checks the tickets, or do we have to go to a ticket window, show the passes and get “free” tickets before we board the train?

For the 4 days of the passes offering 50% reduction, I assume we would need to show our passes at a
    ticket window, pay half fare and receive tickets which we would then show on board the train.

Thanks very much,
    Gary

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    3 April 2012 at 12:54:18 #835712

Hi Gary,

We’ll soon add that promotion to our website. All about the pass can be found here. Now, as for your questions:

On a free travel day, you can fill out the date in the designated field by hand or use the stamping machine at the platform. Then, just board the train, boat or bus. For cable cars, you may need to visit the ticket window to get free tickets as you need to pass access gates that only accept their own tickets.

On the remaining days, you’ll get discounted tickets at the ticket window or the ticketing machine. You need to show both your pass and your tickets when asked for it on board.

Have fun!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 April 2012 at 16:24:54 #835713

Thanks very much for your reply.

Gary

Arno
    15471 posts
    6 April 2012 at 16:31:21 #835714

You’re welcome Gary. The promotion is listed here now.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2012 at 10:46:42 #835715

Hi Arno,

a quick question, i saw from uk website about the Jungfrau centenary pass 6 days 1 for 2 promotion, which we are most likely to get as compared to the 7 days for 3 days free travel and 4 days 50%, can you link the information about this so to verify that this content is correct ? i am trying to find the agency that sells this pass in singapore… i dont think the rail europe has that? can u advise please?

thanks!

Annika
    7103 posts
    10 April 2012 at 4:35:37 #835716

Hello Shirl! This pass can be bought through the Jungfrau railways website.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 April 2012 at 0:53:51 #835717

Oh thanks! its confusing… can u advise if there is any Singapore operator which I can place order for the 6days Jungfau Centenary Pass? kindly direct us

Also would it be valid if I purchase from a UK operator, would it be valid for all nationality or strictly for UK resident? your ans is important, thanks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 April 2012 at 0:56:31 #835718

And Annika, I just realised I have checked that site you gave in your reply, but it does not state the promotion – 1 for 2 promotion, could you also advise that? where to find such a promotion? tx

Annika
    7103 posts
    20 April 2012 at 12:08:19 #835719

Hi Shirl. The only reseller I know of that currently has this offer, is this one. You can best contact them for further details on shipping etc.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 April 2012 at 11:13:43 #835720

Oh! what about the one that directs us to the swiss travel centre (under sbb) from your website?
    Apparently i found that the All 6 days (centenary Pass) 2 for 1 which we wanted is only for UK resident, we are not from UK. The other one I saw which Arno announced was for 3 days travel also called 6 days Regional Pass, in the STC (SBB) site seem to encountered problems when we click 1 adult- it seems to say that the 1 for 2 offer remark is “NO”… so we stopped as we werent sure.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 April 2012 at 11:19:38 #835721

Just like to feedback and hopefully you may also extend such good one-time Jungfrau’s Centenary Celebration this year to also other nations / nationality during the not so peak period like May – its such ashame that we miss the special promotion for the All 6 days Jungfrau Centenary Pass which allows full 6 days travel and 1 trip to Jungfraujoch with also a buy 1 for 2 … It’s really a good reason to extend such kind of one-time offer to more to share the joy! thanks for your attention!

Arno
    15471 posts
    22 April 2012 at 5:18:47 #835722

Hi shirl,

Please note that the Jungfrau Centenary Pass and the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland are very different passes. The latter covers a much larger area. If you prefer the first one, just follow the link Annika provided. I’m quite sure shipping to Singapore is possible. If you are unsure about how to order, please contact that website directly for information.

The Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland can be shipped to Singapore as well if you order here. I’m not sure what problems you encountered. Please be aware of the fact that the 2-for-1 promotion is only valid for traveling between May 1 and 31, 2012 or between September 1 and October 31, 2012. If you fill out other dates, you can only order the pass for the regular price.

In either case, enjoy your stay over there!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 April 2012 at 21:03:15 #835723

Hi Arno,

We will be station in Wengen for 7 days in the month of May, and thought it will be most economical to get a Pass for that Area, would you advise which one for suitable for us? I read that you said the latter Regional BO Pass covers a larger area, could you elaborate?

We are looking at visiting Mannilichen, Kleine Schedeigg, Murren, Wilderswill, First and possible Jungfraujoch if the price is good because we already went up once last year – considering the costly ticket up there…

As for Regional BO Pass website, was just trying out to see how it works… the problems is : 1) they do not respond after we input a date in May OR 2) there is a error message to say ” 1 for 2 ” = NO

thanks to hear from you

Annika
    7103 posts
    23 April 2012 at 11:42:41 #835724

Hi Shirl. Did you use this link to order? If I fill out the data as required, it seems to work fine. Do note that the offer is only valid for traveling within May. So if you fill out, for example, May 30 as your start date, the 2 for 1 option won’t be displayed as part of the pass validity would actually take place in June. The last possible date for the offer is May 29. If anything else seems wrong, you should contact STC to ask for help in your rdering process.

All details on the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland can be found here. Links to further information and validity maps are mentioned too.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2012 at 5:08:48 #835725

thanks to Annika and Arno!!! we got it sorted… got to click 1 ticket at a time and add tickets…. to get the right message.. finally we ordered the 2 tickets (for another 2) last night successfully!! 🙂 waiting for arrival!! great job!!

Annika
    7103 posts
    24 April 2012 at 5:56:39 #835726

I’m glad you managed to order, Shirl. Enjoy your stay in Switzerland and your regional passes!

• The thread ‘Using the 7 day Berner Oberland pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.