Using the Swiss Half price card & where to buy it

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 August 2015 at 8:52:08 #807720

Hello I have been traveling to Switzerland for many years I fly into Geneva and get he Train to Lauterbrunnen. I travel there each year to go base jumping. I stay in The schengen zone for 3 months moving around a bit But use Lauterbrunnen as a base to store my equipment. This year i will be flying to Norway and the UK from Geneve traveling back and forward from Lauterbrunnen to geneva each time. I thought that you could buy the half price card for the year so I could use it for the 3 months I was there. So because I want to travel to norway and UK for 2 weeks each i will have to cut one of those short so i can do the 4 trips with in the swiss half price. I also want to use the Half price card on the Kandersteg cable car and also at the season pass at Walenstadt. Can I use the Half price card to buy the month pass in Lauterbrunnen ? Can I buy the half price card from Geneva airport and from Lauterbrunnen ?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    9 August 2015 at 12:10:30 #845149

Hi LeelouDallas, thanks for joining us!

Most tourists use the one month version of the Swiss Half Fare Card, which can best be purchased online as that’s cheaper (see here). The one year Swiss Half Fare Card is nearly identical and can be found on the SBB site. There are no discounts on this one that I know of. You can buy it at any staffed station if you present a photo and your ID. Further information is available on the SBB site.

I don’t which exact passes you’re referring to, but if a “Halbtax” price is mentioned, then yes, you can buy them for that discounted price.

Have safe jumps!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 August 2015 at 13:16:47 #845150

Arno thanks the 185franc per year one is the one I’m after for the trip i want to take on the train alone using this will save me 45 Francs and then each time i jump the Eiger, Kanderstag or Walenstadt It will save me money thanks.

• The thread ‘Using the Swiss Half price card & where to buy it’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.