Validity of Swiss Pass in Ticino Region

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 February 2017 at 4:21:15 #810912

Hi,

Does Swiss Pass allow one to travel free in the entire Ticino region ? I checked jurisdiction of Swiss Pass, but still not sure whether it covers all city and local busses in the region. How does it compare with Arcobaleno pass for the region?

Thanks,

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 February 2017 at 9:00:37 #859412

Hi Bhatws1,

According to the Swiss Travel Pass map it only is valid for the train coming in from the north (St. Moritz etc.) and buses (yellow lines) from Tirano to Lugano or the other direction towards Bormio.

It would not include city transit – the Arcobaleno pass is for local transit I believe, so if you are staying in Tirano for a few days it may be worth it.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 February 2017 at 9:11:02 #859413

>> Does Swiss Pass allow one to travel free in the entire Ticino region ? I checked jurisdiction of Swiss Pass, but still not sure whether it covers all city and local busses in the region. How does it compare with Arcobaleno pass for the region?

Swiss Travel Pass

The Swiss Travel Pass provides free travel on all trains and PostBuses between cities, towns and villages in Ticino, as in the rest of Switzerland. That includes the Centovalli Railway, which travels between Locarno in Switzerland and Domodossola in Italy (although a supplement of CHF 1.50 is payable if you travel in one of the trains with panoramic windows).

The Swiss Travel Pass also provides free travel on local public transport in Bellinzona, Locarno and Lugano, the main cities of the canton. Usually cable cars and funiculars are not free, but you will get a 50% discount, for example, the Monte Brè and San Salvatore funiculars in Lugano.

The funicular between Lugano main station and the town centre is probably covered in full, as the service is provided by TPL, the company which provides public transport in Lugano. This funicular is back in service now, I believe, after a period of closure due to construction work at Lugano main station.

When I went on the Madonna del Sasso funicular in Locarno in September last year, I got a small discount with my Swiss Travel Pass: CHF 5.40 return instead of CHF 7.20.

Boats on Lake Lugano are covered, but those on Lake Maggiore are not, as they are provided by an Italian company.

Arcobaleno Pass

I have not used this pass myself. As far as I can see, there is no pass specifically for tourists. The minimum period for a pass seems to be one week, and you have to decide how many zones you will need.

Here are some links to help you compare and decide:

Price for weekly pass

http://www.arcobaleno.ch/en/a bbonamenti/abbonamento -settimanale

Zone Map

http://www.arcobaleno.ch/cont ent/2-chi-siamo/2-le-zone-arcobaleno/biglietti.p df

Participating transport companies

http://www.arcobaleno.ch/en/c hi-siamo/le-imprese-di-trasporto

Regardless of what type of pass you end up getting, the Arcobaleno app might be useful if you have internet access when you are out and about. There are download links on the Arcobaleno home page:

http://www.arcobaleno.ch/en

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 February 2017 at 16:09:38 #859414

My apologies!

I saw Ticino but read Tirano! Oy.

Please disregard my comment. Alpenrose666 is correct – thanks for catching that!

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 March 2017 at 4:25:46 #859415

Hi Alpenrose666, Lucas

Thank you for very much for your replies, I am sorry I could not communicate earlier.

While staying at Lugano in June, I want to take a one-day excursion to Verzasca dam and a small 2 to 3 hour hike in Verzasca river valley. I will have Swiss Travel Pass. Roughly my plan is: take a train to Bellinzona or Tenero. Take Postbus to Sonogno, Get down at Diga Verzasca for the dam, spend some time there, take a hike for 2 hrs, go to Lavertezzo, spend some time there, take return Postbus to Tenero.

My queries:

1. Do the authorities allow tourists to visit the dam or any special permission is required?

2. Any suggestions on the hike? Difficulty level: easy to moderate, duration about 2 Hrs around during day-time, the idea behind hike is to get a feel of the emerald river, Verzasca.

3. I presume with Swiss Travel Pass, the train & Postbus travel to & fro Lugano would be free.

Pl. let me know your inputs. Thanks and regards,

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 March 2017 at 5:37:44 #859416

>> I will have Swiss Travel Pass. Roughly my plan is: take a train to Bellinzona or Tenero. Take Postbus to Sonogno, Get down at Diga Verzasca for the dam, spend some time there, take a hike for 2 hrs, go to Lavertezzo, spend some time there, take return Postbus to Tenero.

3. I presume with Swiss Travel Pass, the train & Postbus travel to & fro Lugano would be free.

Yes, trains are free with the Swiss Travel Pass. Diga Verzasca, Lavertezzo and Tenero are all stops on the PostBus route from Locarno to Sonogno, and that route is covered by the Swiss Travel Pass.

Make sure to consult the PostBus timetable for the exact day you will be travelling, so you know how frequent the service is, and be sure to note what time the last bus leaves Lavertezzo for Tenero.

I can’t give you any advice on the hike or visiting the dam I’m afraid. Hopefully there is someone else here who can.

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Validity of Swiss Pass in Ticino Region’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.