Quickest route from Varenna to Meiringen

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 August 2016 at 1:42:18 #809833

My wife and I are going to spend a couple days in Varenna before starting a 6 day hike from Meiringen. We will travel Zurich to Lugano by train, then bus to Menaggio, then ferry to Varenna. On the return to Meiringen should we go back to Lugano by ferry and bus and then take the train to Meiringen or is there a quicker more direct route from Varenna to Meiringen. I understand since all the travel is not within Switzerland this may not be an easy question to answer but any insight would be appreciated. Thanks, Rob

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    10 August 2016 at 9:51:12 #854917

Hello Rob,

You will have to go back to the Lugano/Bellinzona line somehow, either like you described or via Monza/Milan (see the timetable). Once you are there the quickest route is via Lucerne. A more scenic route is via Locarco – Domodossola – Brig – Spiez – Interlaken.

• The thread ‘Quickest route from Varenna to Meiringen’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.