Venice to Luzern by overnight surface transport

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 April 2016 at 5:18:16 #808800

Hi friends,

My wife and I would be travelling from Venice to Luzern on 27 April and we have figured out a schedule to do so. Need your help in validating if the same is practically feasible or not.

Venezia St. Lucia to Milano Centrale by train (Trenitalia) — 19:50 – 22:25 (we would buy the ticket)

Milano Centrale to Chiasso by bus (Trenitalia) — 00:45 – 02:27 (we would buy the ticket)

Chiasso to Arth Goldau by train (SBB) — 04:44 – 07:09 (can we use the Swiss Travel Pass? Even with the Pass, do we still need to pay a reservation fee? If yes, how/where do we pay that?)

Arth Goldau to Luzern by train (SBB) — there are several options (I hope that Pass would cover this leg for free)

This journey is an overnight journey and although this involves several changes, we are ok since we would save on precious daytime and also on night stay.

Our comments/queries are mentioned beside each leg – please share your valued inputs.

Thanks

JD

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    4 April 2016 at 6:24:23 #850247

Hi JD,

The Swiss Travel Pass basically covers all of Switzerland. The details can be found on myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass/validi ty. Reservations are not required in Switzerland: myswissalps.com/ train/reservations.

I would not travel overnight like that. Milano Centrale is not a pleasant place to spend time, let alone at night (unless things have changed, expect drunk people, pickpockets, etc.). Spending more than 2 hours in the middle of the night in Chiasso isn’t much fun either. I would think it’s safe but it will be boring and cold. I would definitely travel during the day and pick a connection with more efficient train changes. If you pick the Wilhelm Tell route it would be a very scenic ride instead of lost time getting from A to B. But of course this is a personal decision.

I hope this input helps, have a great trip!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 April 2016 at 12:43:42 #850248

Hi Arno,

You’re the Man for people travelling to/from Switzerland. We didn’t want to spend weird hours of the night at Milano Centrale either but we simply cannot find an option which would help us reach Luzern on 28th April morning. We wish to do the Mt. Titlis tour that day itself and hence we definitely need to reach Luzern in the morning.

Flights from Venice are heavier on the pocket and it also means we would need to spend additionally for stay either at Luzern or Venice. Hence, we are in a fix and chose the aforementioned option.

Thanks

JD

Arno
    15471 posts
    4 April 2016 at 13:11:01 #850249

Hi JD,

I understand your reasoning. It would be interesting if you could post a trip report once you’re back.

Have fun!

• The thread ‘Venice to Luzern by overnight surface transport’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.