Venice to Wengen by train – Advice on tickets

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2016 at 8:45:08 #809240

Hello,

Three of us will be travelling from Venice>Milan>Domodossola> Visp > Spiez > Interlaken>Lauterbrunnen and finally one to Wengen.

If we have not purchased a Swiss half fare card, could you please let me know whether we need to purchase a train ticket at each train station starting from Visp? That is, purchase a ticket at Visp, then Spiez, then Interlaken, then Lauterbrunnen? My understanding is that the trains stop at each of these stations and we need to buy point to point tickets.

Many thanks in advance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    18 May 2016 at 9:18:13 #852235

Hi Traveller3,

Train stops and tickets are not related. You basically buy a ticket from Venice to Wengen, although in reality online tickets may not be available for the entire route, so you would end up buying Venice to the border and the border to Wengen, for example.

Are you sure you don’t need any kind of rail pass? I suppose you’ll be traveling on day trips from Wengen as well. And I suppose there’s a trip from Wengen to your point of exit (border/airport) too. Please see:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2016 at 9:45:32 #852236

Hi Arno,

Thank you for your reply.

I am still a bit confused. Does this mean that if I were to physically purchase a ticket for the entire route, I can do so from Venice?or if I am buying the tickets on-line, do I need to purchase the tickets for the Italy leg of the route from the trainitalia website and for the Switzerland part of the route, starting from Visp, on the SBB website?

Is it possible to physically purchase point to point tickets at each railway station, starting from Visp? Also, how many train exchanges will I have to do, for the entire journey until Wengen?

I am sorry if my questions sound very elementary. This will be my first time in Switzerland and all the information on the web is quite daunting…

I have not decided on purchasing a pass yet, as I want to get an idea of the overall cost of travel and then compare that with the half fare card.

Thank you

Arno
    15471 posts
    18 May 2016 at 10:32:13 #852237

Hi Traveller3,

I would not recommend to buy tickets in Venice, as many trains in Italy require reservations. So it would be a bit late to buy there. You first need to decide which pass you need. After that you can decide on tickets. You may pick a pass that includes free travel in Switzerland, for example, so in that case you would only need a ticket for the Italian portion. To get overall costs and compare passes, please follow the instructions in the second link of my previous post. The websites you mentioned are the domestic sites for Italy and Switzerland. In many cases you can buy all items from one retailer, but that’s again for later to decide. Your first need an itinerary, and then decide on a pass. The Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland might be an interesting option too.

Feel free to let us know your decision and we can look into which additional tickets you need and how to get them.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2016 at 10:39:38 #852238

Hi Arno,

Will check the links to get a clearer idea.

I am in the process of finalizing the itinerary. Will share it on this thread, in order to get further advice.

Thank you.

• The thread ‘Venice to Wengen by train – Advice on tickets’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.