Vignette

• stevemcdonald
    Participant
    42 posts
    7 June 2012 at 20:47:28 #805349

I’ve read a little about the requirements to have a “Vignette” to drive on some of the highways in Switzerland. We are renting a car in Marseille, driving through the Cote d’Azur, Italy, Mont Blanc Tunnel to Chamonix and then down to Martigny, and on into touring Switzerland for a week. So – where and how do I buy one of these “Vignettes”, which I assume I’ll need at some point?

Thank you,
    Steve in California

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    8 June 2012 at 3:43:16 #836363

Hello Steve,

Information about how to obtain your Autobahnvignette can be found here.

Have a nice trip,

stevemcdonald
    Participant
    42 posts
    9 June 2012 at 12:08:59 #836364

Thank you Olga, I should have known to check your site first! So just one question for a little more detail if you don’t mind: We leave California in less than a week now, so no time to order now (should have included it when I ordered my Swiss Half Fare passes). The website says I can buy it at the border for about US$41. So when I drive into Switzerland from Chamonix-Mt. Blanc (France Rt. D1506 to Swiss Route 203) en route to Martigny, will there be a border station where I have to stop, show passport, etc – and have the possibility to buy the vignette there? According to the map of motorways where it will be needed, I will need it if I take Rt. 9 on from Martigny to Visp (heading to Tasch/Zermatt). But on my map of Switzerland I was planning to drive on E62, which looks like a freeway (or multi-lane expressway) and doesn’t require the vignette. Is that a toll road? Anyway, I will need it for the routes I plan to drive from Luzern to Innsbruck.
    Thank you for your advice,
    Steve

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2012 at 16:35:57 #836365

no, it’s a partly un-manned border post. If it is manned then you should be able to get a vignette but otherwise you need to stop at the first petrol station and they’ll sell you one. As, generally, will a few on the French side of the border.

I don’t really recognise those road numbers. The autoroute from Martigny to Visp is an autoroute (the A9) to Sierre and you must have a vignette. There’s no toll roads in Switzerland, either it’s autoroute which needs a vignette or it’s not.

• The thread ‘Vignette’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10620 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.