Visit to Chocolate factory at Broc

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 July 2016 at 23:02:35 #809747

Hi

Am in Geneva with family (2 kids 5 and 8 years) and was keen to make a trip to the Chocolate factory at Broc. Would be keen to get some advice on whether it is good and worth the 5 hours round journey from geneva. The kids are quite excited about going to a chocolate factory. Any suggestions on how i should plan the journey would be welcome.

I also checked the chocolate train route and it seems to take 5 hours one way from Montreux to Broc. So am planning to take the regular trains. Hope that is the right thing to do.

Also I could not find a way to make a booking for the visit to the factory online. The website gives the tickets prices and timings etc but i cannot find a link to make the actual booking online.

Thanks

Prem

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    24 July 2016 at 9:43:17 #854521

Hi Prem,

The Chocolate Train takes that long because it also includes a tour of the cheese factory in Gruyères. If you go on your own, you can take a train to Broc-Fabrique (enter this as your destination in the timetable). You will have Swiss Travel Pass, right? In that case all trains are free. The factory ticket can be purchased on the spot. There’s nothing to book in advance.

Have fun, and don’t skip the chocolate tasting section!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 July 2016 at 10:57:01 #854522

Hi Arno

Thanks. My swiss pass expires the day before i am planning to make this trip so will have to buy the tickets. Do I just buy on the tickets on the day at the station or book online in advance?

Just a thought, is there any other good chocolate factory near either Interlaken or lucerne which i could also consider? or is the Maison Cailler the best one to visit?

Prem

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 July 2016 at 11:01:53 #854523

One other question. I read on the Calillier website that there is some discounted SBB railway offer which includes travel with public transport and admission. again this would need to be purchased from the station? Since i don’t have STP available on the day i am planning this trip would like to avail of this discounted offer. So do let me know how i could avail the same

Thanks

Arno
    15471 posts
    24 July 2016 at 11:29:06 #854524

Hi Prem,

You can buy the ticket from any staffed station. They’ll usually offer the combined ticket once you’ve told where you’re going. You can take a look at http://www.maestrani.ch too.

PS: I forgot to mention that the entrance to Cailler is free with a Swiss Travel Pass too. I don’t know about your overall holiday plan, but it migh be easier to buy a pass for more days.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 July 2016 at 14:05:07 #854525

Hi Arno

The holiday is 11 days (starting tomorrow i.e 25Jul) and i have bought a 8 consecutive days Swiss Travel pass. So i have one day at the beginning (25Jul) and 2 days at the end (2nd and 3rd aug) which are not covered with the STP. I thought of taking your advise and taking the 3 days flex STP. However It does not allow me to buy a STP online starting tomorrow. Can i not buy a STP starting tomorrow? It allows the consecutive days STP but not the flex one. If i am buying the 3 days pass i thought i might as well make full use of the same.

Prem

Arno
    15471 posts
    24 July 2016 at 14:16:01 #854526

Hi Prem,

That’s too bad! A 15-day Swiss Travel Pass would have cost you only CHF 77 p.p. extra. But it’s too late for that now. A Swiss Travel Pass Flex is relatively expensive but if it’s cheaper than regular tickets for your plans it’s still a good option. Indeed you can’t buy one online last minute, so you’ll need to get one at a staffed rail station.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 July 2016 at 16:35:09 #854527

Thanks Arno.

So there is no way to upgrade a 8 day pass to a 15 day at a staffed station by paying the additional amount?

Arno
    15471 posts
    24 July 2016 at 18:24:44 #854528

Hi Prem,

An upgrade, no. I have never heard of that. The only option I know of is to cancel the pass through the retailer you purchased from (usually a 15% fee applies), and then get them to issue a new pass.

If you come back to Switzerland in the future, please be sure to visit this page before deciding on any pass. It explains how to pick the cheapest pass based on your plans. In your case it seems like the 15-day pass would have been cheaper, even though you don’t stay for 15 days. It’s quite common actually. Many people buy an 8-day pass even if they stay for 6 or 7 days.

Anyway, I hope you’ll have a wonderful time in the Alps!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 July 2016 at 22:37:27 #854529

It was my understanding that the Chocolate Factory entrance was covered by the Swiss Travel Pass. Is that correct?

atmdel
    Participant
    10 posts
    26 July 2016 at 3:36:24 #854530

Yes, Swiss travel pass covers the enterance and guided tour in the chocolate factory.

Also read ur post about whether it’s worth it – YES! We loved it. Nice AV presentation, all u can eat chocolate, excellent explanations, interactive and fun. The shop was well stocked and had helpful assistants too. Try not u miss 😊

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 July 2016 at 3:41:23 #854531

Thanks, that’s what i thought. We’re stopping there and in Gruyeres on the trip from Lauterbrunnen to Montreux. Should be a fun day! 🙂

• The thread ‘Visit to Chocolate factory at Broc’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10610 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.