Visit to Switzerland in Sept.

Visit to Switzerland in Sept.

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
Jun 26, 2011 - 2:59 PM
We are a retired couple who plan to visit Switzerland, Austria, Germany, (possibly Netherlands) and France from mid Sept. to Oct.1st. We have specific places that we want to see in all of the countries and plan to stay in the Bern area in Switzerland. I would like some suggestions to determine what is the best mode of transportation. We plan to travel mainly by train and prefer not to rent a vehicle. I am finding the train options very confusing as to whether it would be better to buy a Swiss pass for the time we are in Switzerland and then individual passes to the other destinations or whether it would be better to buy a eurorail pass. We would like to spend about 4 days in Switzerland and would like to take in some of the day excursions or can we see what we would like using the Swiss pass without the day excursions and using the half price for cable cars etc. For example can we take a train to Grindlewald and then take the cable car from there? Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
7493 posts
expert &
Jul 3, 2011 - 5:57 AM
Hello DJ,

Welcome here, and sorry for the late reply! The general rule to pick a pass is the add the fares of regular tickets and compare that to pass prices. It is explained for Switzerland here. For your 4 days in Switzerland, it sounds like either a 4-day Swiss Saver Pass or a Swiss Half Fare Card would be suitable. The first one is the best if you make the most out of these days: i.e. traveling quite a lot and having the freedom of doing an extra free train or boat trip if you feel like it. The second option is better for regional trips.

I'm not sure what you mean with "day excursions". Are you referring to organised tours? You can visit any (tourist) site on your own as well. For Grindelwald for example, you can just use your pass to travel to Grindelwald and get a discounted cable car ticket on the spot.

The best mode of transportation is usually the train, or sometimes bus or boat. The timetable helps you to plan your trips.

I hope this helps!
Last modified on Dec 28, 2014 - 4:35 PM by Arno

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More on

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

© 2002-2016