Visiting Engleberg from Wengen

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 July 2015 at 15:38:13 #807566

I posted previously with a question about rail passes, all explained clearly – thank you Arno!

I have another query, myself & my husband will be staying in Wengen for 6 days & are wondering if it would be feasible to visit Lucerne & Engleberg for a day trip.

We have a sentimental reason for wanting to do this, we met on holiday, in Engleberg in 1965, 50 years ago! This will be the first time that we have returned to Switzerland since then, so now after 44 years of marriage, three children & 2 grandchildren later we would rather like to go back to where we first met.

Our youngest son has decided to join us on our return to Switzerland this time, so it would be nice for him to see where his parents met!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    17 July 2015 at 0:14:04 #844526

<<“have another query, myself & my husband will be staying in Wengen for 6 days & are wondering if it would be feasible to visit Lucerne & Engleberg for a day trip.”>>

It would be a long, long day. Nearly 10 hours of traveling.

The timetable is your friend.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Once you start to use the timetable, the page where you list origin and destination will display a “via” menu choice.

Or, you can find it directly on the home page of the SBB, withthe “via” menu choice available from the beginning.

http://www.sbb.ch/en/home.htm l

If you need to include Titlis, I believe the name of the station at the top is Klein Titlis or similar. I’m not sure that can be fitted in, but maybe it could be. Really a long long day then.

When you use the timetable, once you have opened up the intermediate stops, you will see the option to see a map of the routing for that journey.

Annika
    7124 posts
    17 July 2015 at 6:22:59 #844527

Hi Fleurette!

It will be a long day indeed, but it’s doable if you leave as early as possible. For such a special occasion you may not mind a long trip, right? And the journey to and from Engelberg can be a joy in itself, especially if you travel via Meiringen and the Bruenig pass, using the beautiful Golden Pass route to Lucerne.

Many trains between Interlaken and Lucerne (called Luzern-Interlaken Express in the timetable) even have an on-board restaurant, and you may want to have dinner there on your way back. The menu is somewhat limited, but still it’s great fun. Look for the cutlery icon when checking details of your connection in the timetable. The later trains of the day don’t offer this service anymore, so you shouldn’t leave Lucerne much later than about 4 pm, and I’m not sure if that fits your plans.

• The thread ‘Visiting Engleberg from Wengen’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.