Visiting Laussane, Montreux and Chateau de Chillon

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 July 2015 at 16:24:29 #807651

I would like to visit these 3 places and maybe Vevey in one day starting from Geneva.

What is the best way to do this? Should I do this on my own (getting on and off the trains, boats etc) or should I take an organized tour? I plan to purchase Eurail pass for my trip to Swiss-Austria.

Also, I plan to be in Geneva for 3-4 days and would like some suggestions on my plan which is listed below

Day 1 – reach Geneva in the morning after a long flight. See a few sights in Geneva

Day 2- Take a round-trip to Bern

Day 3 – Visit CERN (this is a must-see for me). Any idea how long I need to allocate for this?

Day 4- Head out to Lucerne. Cover Laussane, Montreux and Chateau de Chillon and Vevey on the way.

Murty

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    30 July 2015 at 0:05:18 #844855

Hi Murty-

<<” 3posts: new memberJul 29, 2015 – 4:24 PMI would like to visit these 3 places and maybe Vevey in one day starting from Geneva.””>

From your message, I cannot understand which three. You mention more than three.

Could you clarify?

CERN-

outreach.web.cern.ch/o utreach/

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 July 2015 at 1:00:13 #844856

The 3 places I am refering to are Laussane, Montreux and Chateau de Chillon

I would also like to include Vevey if possible

Murty

Annika
    7115 posts
    30 July 2015 at 8:02:43 #844857

Hi Murty, welcome to MySwissAlps!

You can visit the following pages to find out about activities in some of the towns you’re interested in:

It’s very easy to organize this on your own. This page explains how to arrange for your trip yourself: http://www.myswissalps.com/pl antrip/doityourself.

There are several ways to visit CERN, as Slowpokes link shows. How long your visit takes, depends on the type of tour you plan. The tram ride (to ‘Meyrin, CERN’) takes about half an hour from the railway station of Geneva; you’ll find details in the timetable.

As for day 4: in my opinion, it’s too much to cover Vevey, Lausanne, Montreux and Chateau de Chillon and then get to Lucerne all in one day. You’d only get to see each destination for a short while before rushing on to the next one. I’d rather focus on only one or two, and then head for Lucerne and prevent a very late arrival. Montreux and Chateau de Chillon are a good combination.

Details on the Eurail Austria-Switzerland Pass (if that’s the pass you’re referring to), including purchase options and a validity overview, can be found at http://www.myswissalps.com/eu railaustriaswitzerland pass.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    30 July 2015 at 13:22:29 #844858

Thanks –

I did not see the names in the title.

Although Bern has enough to keep you busy for a day trip, two trains per hour from Geneva to Bern pass through and stop at Lausanne. Those are the ones at xx15 and xx45.

It would be possible to stop and take a look around before you continue.

If I were going to try it, and I probably would not, I wouild go to Bern first and take my time there. Then, on the way back, if i were not too tired, I’d stop at Lausanne. If you have a very specific target in Lausanne, that could help you judge the time needed.

http://www.olympic.org/museum

Just my opinion. I don’t like to rush from place to place.

The new metro from the main station down to Ouchy, and a short walk along the lake would be plesnt. BUt, you’ll be seein g lake shore at Montreux, with a nice promenade there, too.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Visiting Laussane, Montreux and Chateau de Chillon’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10940 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.