Visiting Swiss in November for my honeymoon

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 June 2016 at 5:26:36 #809512

Hi,

I am planning to visit swiss in november for my honeymoon. But i have read from few websites that november is not a good time to visit swiss. So wanted to know , whether all the famous destinations will be closed for maintenance in november ? How will the weather be?

I am travelling from bangalore india.

Regards

Srini

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    23 June 2016 at 7:09:37 #853363

Hi Srini-

Welcome to My Swiss Alps.

I have been traveling to Switzerland on business ( in years past) and as a tourist, frequently in recent years. Perhaps about 80 visits.

I have found ways to enjoy my trips in any month of the year. That said, the time around November and around April, roughly, are the low season on the Alps, and the weather is a good deal colder than in Bangalore especially from late October until mid April. Good travel in Switzerland depends a LOT on altitude; In the Alps, November will have snow, but the skies won’t really hit the slopes until mid-December. That is when most tourist services and hotel open for the Winter season. Some are open all year, however. If you are not in the Alps, most facilities will be open. Plenty of famous places to visit and some beautiful sights to see.

For perspective, when I went to Switzerland on business in the warmer months, I always arranged to stay over at the end of my business trip for some personal travel. I like to hike and get into the countryside, out doors. If I went in November through march, I did not prolong my trips, spent time in the cities, and on a weekend, i might visit the Ticino – south of the alps….Locarno. Lugano, etc.

There are various web sites that give average temperatures for the different days or months of the year around the world. If you find one for Switzerland, be sure to check some of the mountainous locations ( Wengen, Zermatt) as well as lower altitudes ( Luzern, Geneva) and the warmest region – Lugano or Locarno.

At lower altitudes,such as Luzern ( or Lucerne, if you prefer the French spelling) November will have sunny days, and cloudy days, but most tourist facilities will be open. Hiking and outdoor activities will have some sunny days, and some grey rainy days.

These links can help you:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ab outswitzerland

and, please be sure to follow the links under those headings given there.

Especially –

http://www.myswissalps.com/be sttimetovisit

Toward the end of November, you are really getting into the beginning of Winter. Short days, and cold weather, but sometimes also pleasant sunny days that are warm by Swiss standards and cold by Bangalore standards.

By the way, in English, the name of the country is Switzerland. It is a little confusing, because the name in Geman is die Schweiz, and in French, la suisse. Italian – la Svizzera. Those are all official languages in Switzerland.

In English, “Swiss” is an adjective…for instance….Swiss cheese, Swiss chocolates…

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 June 2016 at 3:19:18 #853364

Hi Slowpoke,

Thanks alot for ur time. Your reply was very helpful. Me and my fiance will plan based on the inputs given by you.

There was a slight change in the plan we had, my fiance will be travelling to germany for 6 months. So we are thinking of visiting ” Switzerland” 🙂 in either december or feb(before she comes back to india).

Your suggestions will be very helpful.

Best regards

Srini

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 June 2016 at 3:21:19 #853365

Forgot to add, We like hiking and have keen interest in adventorous activities :). We want our honeymoon to be kind of a backpack trip.

Annika
    7115 posts
    29 June 2016 at 6:00:43 #853366

Hi Srini,

Backpacking and hiking are best done in summer: May to October, with July to September being the best months for high altitude activities. In February, you’ll have the chance for (usually shorter) winter hikes on a limited number of trails, or you can take ski/snowboard lessons (unless you can already ski). This could work in mid/late December as well, but snow chances are not as good as in February.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    29 June 2016 at 7:37:44 #853367

<<” in either december or feb(before she comes back to india).”>>

Really not good times for hiking at high altitudes, where the best scenery and mountain trails are.. February is likely to have enough snow even at the lowest altitudes to make hiking on trails unrewarding. Early December could have clear trails at low altitudes. Winter activities in the high Alps begin mostly around December 15th. Until that time, there is usually enough snow to be a nuisance, but not enough to get the ski lifts running. That means that almost all trails – except a few that are specially cleared for winter walking – are impassable on foot. The weather and snow levels in early and mid-December cannot be predicted precisely of course, because the winter season at high altitudes is just starting up in mid December.

Altitude matters.

Annika gave a very good summary.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 July 2016 at 3:42:47 #853368

Hi Slowpoke and Annika,’

Thank you for your suggestions.:). Will try to involve in some winter activites and will plan to visit in late december. My only concern is will we miss out some must see places in Switzerland, if we travel in second half of december due to maintenance period. If that is the case, i was thinking of some other country in europe and plan to visit Switzerland sometime later.

Regards

Srini

Arno
    15479 posts
    1 July 2016 at 6:26:45 #853369

Hi Srini,

Many places will be accessible, but not all of them. The best you can do is list the places you intend to visit, and then check their opening dates to see if it’s worth it.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    1 July 2016 at 8:08:21 #853370

Hi Srini –

<<“My only concern is will we miss out some must see places in Switzerland, if we travel in second half of december due to maintenance period.”>>

By December 15th, most winter season activities are starting up for the season in the high alpine areas.

Since I like to go up to Männlichen from Wengen, I always look at the opening days for the large cable car ( die Luftseilbahn) from Wengen (station Wengiboden) to Männlichen LWM station. (LWM is the Lauterbrunnenn- Wengen – Männlichen service)

it is kind of an indicator of when things start up for the winter season.

In 2016 it will be open on weekends of 19-20 Novemebr and 26-27 Novemebr IF snow conditions are favorable.

Same for Dec 3/4 and maybe from December 10th onward, also if snow conditions are favorable.

The regular winter season starts on December 13th and end on April 3, with slightly longer hours after February 5th.

As Arno noted, it is best to check. Christmas is an extremely busy time in the high Alps. Many hotels are likely already booked with repeat guests who come every year.

I think that you have moved away from the idea of back-packing and are interested in winter activities?

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Visiting Swiss in November for my honeymoon’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10940 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.