Do I need a voltage adapter in Lucerne?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 May 2017 at 0:09:32 #811687

I will be in Lucerne fof 4 days.. do i need a voltage adapter.. is this something a hotel might provide.. BTW TRAVELING from the US

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    5 May 2017 at 1:33:28 #862825

Hi Dennis.

Many devices, such as computers accept 155 or 210 volts; all that is need is a plug (adapter) with the correct “prongs” to fit the higher voltage outlets.

However, many US appliances, such as hair driers, require 110 V.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ab outswitzerland/practic al/swissoutlet

Good luck,

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 May 2017 at 8:13:13 #862826

>> I will be in Lucerne fof 4 days.. do i need a voltage adapter.. is this something a hotel might provide.. BTW TRAVELING from the US

As Slowpoke noted, depending on the device you want to use, you either need a voltage adaptor or just a plug adaptor.

Many hotels will have a few plug adaptors to loan to guests, but I don’t know about voltage adaptors.

The only time I ever asked the hotel reception for a plug adaptor, they didn’t have any left, but directed me to a store where I could buy one. I’ve always travelled with my own adaptors since then.

There is an InterDiscount store in the shopping centre beneath Luzern railway station. If you can’t get anything suitable before you arrive in Switzerland, you could try there.

Alpenrose

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    5 May 2017 at 9:57:39 #862827

Hi Alpenrose-

I agree with your comments and note that I should have written “115” instead of “155” in my first reply.

Voltage adapters, to allow devices that only run on 110-115 volts to run on the 220 +/- volts supplied in Switzerland often do not have the capacity to handle a hair drier or an electric clothes iron. Those draw a lot of current. They work fine for devices with smaller current draw.

We bought a small electric hair drier in the Migros in the Main Staion at Zürich…simplest way, usable all throughout Europe. I suspect that the interDiscount would have such for sale.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 May 2017 at 1:56:03 #862828

>> We bought a small electric hair drier in the Migros in the Main Staion at Zürich…simplest way, usable all throughout Europe. I suspect that the interDiscount would have such for sale.

Yes, they do – I bought one in the Zürich InterDiscount store, when I thought my hotel didn’t supply them. (They did actually, but you had to ask for one from reception, as I found out later.) I take it with me on my European trips and use it at home too, with an adaptor for Australian power points.

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Do I need a voltage adapter in Lucerne?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.