Walking from Glion to Rochers de Naye

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 March 2017 at 17:19:35 #811048

Hi folks

i have noticed that there is a funniuclar from Terriet to Gilion which is closer to my accommodation rather than going from Montreux main station up to the summit of Rochers de Naye.

Can anyone tell me how i find more information on this route and also how easy it would be to follow a hiking path from Gilion to the summit of Rochers de Naye

Also am i right in thinking that this funnicular is not far from Chilion Castle

Many thanks in advance

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 March 2017 at 8:06:58 #859999

Hi Twiggy321,

I haven’t used this funicular nor have I found much information on it!

There is a brief description here and another note that at its upper terminus, the funicular connects with what was the lower terminus of the Chemin de fer Glion-Rochers-de-Naye (GN) mountain railway. It is located just outside the Montreux town centre and is easily accessible on foot and you can trek down the hillside on the way back to Montreux.

Sorry I couldn’t have been more help on this one….perhaps another member knows more – or you can ask at your hotel when you are there, I am sure they have more details on it.

Regards,
    Lucas

Arno
    15471 posts
    14 March 2017 at 8:56:20 #860000

You’re up for a wonderful but pretty strenuous hike Twiggy321! It’s over 1200 vertical meters upwards. Not a problem if you’re fit and do this sort of thing more often. If not, there are various options to have a shorter walk as there are train stops along the way. A map can be found here.

I’ve only done the lower section of this hike as the upper part was covered in snow when I was there. It won’t be hard to find your way. There are signs and the map I linked to helps too. Technically the last part will be most challenging, but I don’t have details about that. You can choose to end your walk at the train stop of La Perche and take the train for the last part.

The funicular departs next to the Territet train station and runs frequently, so no issue there.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 March 2017 at 13:16:56 #860001

Thanks Lucas and Arno for your valuable information once again

Thanks for the info Arno yep realise the only way is up but hopefully looking back at the views will compensate for the climb and its all downhill on the way back. But yes we are good walkers living close to Snowdonia.

Arno
    15471 posts
    14 March 2017 at 13:20:23 #860002

You’re most welcome! I strongly recommend to take the train back down. It will be very hard on your knees, even with two hiking poles. In any case, have a great time up there, and I am looking forward to the pictures 🙂

• The thread ‘Walking from Glion to Rochers de Naye’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.