Walking in the Pontresina Area

Walking in the Pontresina Area

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
WalkingGirl
WalkingGirl
3 posts
May 20, 2010 - 1:16 PM
Grüezi,

I have booked accommodation at Pontresina Youth Hostel in the Graubünden region from the 1st June - 4th June. The aim of the trip is to do long medium/difficult hiking. However, after looking at the walking routes in the Swiss National Park they are currently closed. I emailed someone via the National Park website, and they said some routes may be open during my stay, but no guarantee. They are suggesting that the best time to visit the park is from the end of June until August.

Would you recommend still visiting this area at this time, and are there other good walks you would recommend near Pontresina?

Kind regards,
Annika
Annika
4418 posts
expert &
May 20, 2010 - 2:06 PM
Hi WalkingGirl! Whether routes in the National Park are open mainly depends on how much snow is still left. Visiting in high season (July and August) indeed increases your chances of being able to walk all routes, but even in cold summers there's no guarantee to this. My advice would be not to postpone your trip and visit Pontresina as planned: it's a stunning region with lots of hiking possibilites, outside of the National Park as well. You may have to pick trails that don't include the highest summits, but again: weather and snow conditions can hardly be predicted for the longer term in Switzerland. Webcams and weather forecasts may give you an impression of your route, but for a reliable impression you should check shortly in advance.

Lovely hikes can be made close to Pontresina. Some examples are:
  • Murtel - Val Rosegg - Pontresina;
  • the Bernina pass. You could cross a large part of the pass by starting at Pontresina or Morteratsch and ending up at Alp Grüm. The section from Ospizio Bernina to Alp Grüm is part of this route;
  • Val Trupchun, which is in fact in the National Park, but not at a very high altitude;
  • Piz Nair - Val Bever - Bever (part of this route was closed some years ago even in summer, due to snow, but an alternative is to start from Corviglia);
  • Murtel - Furtschellas, which could be prolonged by descending to Sils Maria through Val Fex;
  • Muottas Muragl - Fuorcla da Champagna - Val da Champagna - Samedan.

You could take a look at the Pontresina website as well; they have listed hiking tips that may appeal to you.
WalkingGirl
WalkingGirl
3 posts
May 26, 2010 - 5:52 AM
Hallo,

Thank you for the information. I am feeling more positive about visiting the region now.

Kind regards,
Annika
Annika
4418 posts
expert &
May 26, 2010 - 2:16 PM
Hi WalkingGirl, I'm glad to hear that you feel a bit reassured. Have a beautiful stay in Pontresina!

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2016