Walk Montreux – Gorges du Chauderon – Glion

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 May 2017 at 18:35:04 #811819

Hi there

I am visiting Montreux this June and would like to take the following walk wondering if anyone has done this walk and how easy it is. Also would like to know how to explore Montreux ‘off the beaten track so to speak the old part of montreux’

1. Gorges du Chauderon from Montreux and has anyone extended this to Gilion. Thinking of doing this walk and walking onto Gilion to catch the funnicular back to territet is there also a reduction on this with the Riveria card

2. How do I reach the Old town of Montreux

3. Also any other walk you can suggest apart from the obvious promenade walk

Many thanks in advance

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    14 May 2017 at 19:03:55 #863301

Hi Twiggy123,

1. I’ve done that walk and also ended in Glion. It’s a wonderful fairytalelike area (the gorge bit). I haven’t had the chance yet to add this walk to our hiking section. The funicular is free with the Riviera Card.

2. There’s not really an Old Town in Montreux. Not like in Bern, Lausanne or Lucerne anyway. The small part considered historical can be reached by taking the back exit of the train station. Turn right, then after a while turn left into the Rue du Pont. Actually this is where the Gorges du Chauderon walk starts.

3. A vineyard walk can be recommended. Don’t pick a very hot day as there’s hardly any shadow there. This is not off the beaten path, but sort of a “must do” in this area.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    14 May 2017 at 19:13:01 #863302

Hi Arno –

What is the altitude change from Montreux to Glion?

Slowpoke

Arno
    15483 posts
    14 May 2017 at 19:51:01 #863303

Hi Slowpoke,

It’s about 300 m. A bit less than that I think.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 May 2017 at 21:43:03 #863304

Thankyou all once again for you valuable information

Great also to hear that the funnicular is free with the Rivera Card

Definately going to do this walk

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 May 2017 at 12:31:14 #863305

Hi Arno

Just to confirm that start of this walk is at Montreux train station . Leave the train station by the back exit and turn right (does this street have a name??) then roughly how far before I turn left into Rue Du Pont and is the Gorges clearly marked from then??. Is this a walk that you can do without a map of the area as usually take a map with us. i have got a map of 1.2500 of Rochers de Naye so thinking it might cover the area as Gilon is on that map. Many thanks in advance. Maria

Arno
    15483 posts
    15 May 2017 at 18:07:17 #863306

Hi Maria,

Well, you can start from anywhere, but the station in Montreux makes sense and that’s what I did. Basically you can just follow the yellow signs to the gorge, and later to Glion. Leave the station through the back, via platform 8. Turn right into the Rue de la Gare. After about 300 m, turn left into the Rue du Pont. About 30 m after crossing the bridge, turn left into the narrow Ruelle du Chauderon. After another 30 m, turn left again. Keep following this path into the gorge. After about 45 minutes, you’ll cross a brook where you can turn right. A few meters further you can turn right again, towards Glion. Keep following the path and later the road until you reach Glion. Cross the Route de Champs-Fleuri, walk up to the Route du Bugnon and turn right. After 100 m, you’ll see the train stop Glion-Alpes on your left. You can also continue another 300 m to the train station of Glion (that’s where the funicular departs).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 May 2017 at 19:01:32 #863307

Thank you so much Arno for you clarification much appreciated

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 May 2017 at 19:37:25 #863308

Hi Arno

I had not heard of this walk – can you tell me how easy it is? I am not good at going up hill (down is no problem!). Roughly how long would it take?

Thanks Maggie

Arno
    15483 posts
    15 May 2017 at 19:44:43 #863309

Hi Maggie,

Technically it’s not difficult. Families can walk here and I think I remember a jogger too. But it is nearly 300 m up. Or down of course 🙂 It takes less than 1h30 excluding breaks.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 May 2017 at 20:37:40 #863310

Thanks Arno

Could probably manage that OK if I take my time! Worth bearing in mind as another “new” experience, I think. I will investigate further, including the route in the opposite direction to end in Montreux! Where does the funicular to Glion leave from so we can try going other way?

Good news is that I saw my consultant on Friday and he sees no reason why I shouldn’t go ahead with my trip – just to be careful not to overdo things! Staying for a month means we can take the occasional day out to chill in the garden – no need to rush about every day!

Maggie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 May 2017 at 21:00:59 #863311

Hi Arno

Back again

Have figured out the route the other way – I assume there is a signpost at Glion to point us towards the walk?

Also figured out we could go up to Rochers-de-Naye, admire the views, have lunch and then on way back down get off in Glion to do the walk!

Maggie

Arno
    15483 posts
    16 May 2017 at 6:12:50 #863312

Hi Maggie,

Good to hear that! Switzerland can be enjoyed in a slower pace too!

I haven’t paid attention to the signs in the other direction. But you should have no problem finding your way with the above route description and a paper or electronic map. A combination with Rochers-de-Naye is perfectly doable.

• The thread ‘Walk Montreux – Gorges du Chauderon – Glion’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.