Waterhole / cliff jumping / swimming in the open

Waterhole / cliff jumping / swimming in the open

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
remyo
remyo
26 posts
Apr 26, 2013 - 12:24 PM
Hello,

I posted this question nested in my monster megalith of a post here, but thought I'd put this out there with its own post to see if any hikers or swimmers could give me an answer. I can't seem to find it googling.

Is the waterhole in Brontallo where the world cliff diving competition takes place (here) open to the public outside competition days? If so, where can I find information on this? I wrote to the competition email address to inquire but haven't heard back.

Are there any other locations in the Ticino region (or elsewhere) where there are outdoor streams and places to jump in that anyone could recommend? I'm planning a backpacking trip and most of us are into swimming and (safely) jumping off of cliffs (we grew up in Hawaii where there's a lot of that).

Thanks!
Annika
Annika
4417 posts
expert &
May 1, 2013 - 10:49 AM
Hi remyo! I'm not sure about cliff diving in Brontallo or its surroundings. I suggest you contact the local tourism agency. In general, you have to be very careful around Swiss rivers. Many are part of hydroelectric plants, meaning that huge masses of water can suddenly be released into the river beds. This also goes for some Ticino rivers, part of the Maggia power plant. Although warnings signs are placed along the banks, this phenomenon sadly takes lives quite regularly.

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2016