Weather & cablecar/trains in October for Jungfrau

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 May 2017 at 11:23:35 #811791

Hi All,

Thinking of visiting Lauterbrunnen in October as kids wants to see snow and experience mountains. Ive been here before and Im sure my kids would love it. I read somewhere that in October this part of the region is mostly closed off and we can’t do much. Is that true? We have no other suitable dates as school and work takes priority. Pls advice! Thanks!

Kas

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 May 2017 at 14:24:44 #863191

I think the Lauterbrunnen area will be fine to visit up to mid-October as that is when the cable cars tend to shut down for maintenance before the ski season starts.

As for snow it will be cold in the mountains and there may be fresh snowfall at the top.
    Have a look at your weather information page for more details.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 May 2017 at 14:43:32 #863192

Hi Lucas, Thank you for your help!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 May 2017 at 2:31:42 #863193

Hi Kas,

Many of the mountain transport routes and Lake Brienz boats have their last last day of operation for the summer season on 22 October 2017, namely:

-> Boats on Lake Brienz

-> Brienzer Rothorn train

-> Grindelwald – First gondola

-> Grindelwald – Grosse Scheidegg bus

-> Grindelwald – Männlichen gondola

-> Wengen – Männlichen cable car

-> Wilderswill – Schynigge Platte train

-> Lauterbrunnen to Grütschalp cable car and Grütschalp to Mürren train (maintenance closure – reopens 4 November)

The following have varying dates when they cease operation for the summer season:

-> Mürren – Allmendhubel funicular – last day of operation 15 October

-> Trümmelbach Falls – open until beginning of November

-> Interlaken Harderbahn – last day of operation 26 November

-> Boats on Lake Thun – last day of operation 9 December

The Jungfraujoch train is operational all year round, and the Schilthorn cable car will be operational in October, as it doesn’t close for maintenance until 13 November (re-opening 8 December)

If you complete your holiday by 22 October, you will be fine.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 May 2017 at 5:52:46 #863194

Thank you so much Alpenrose666 for the detailed report. our flight back is scheduled fro the 22nd or 23rd so thats great time. Gives me some shopping time too 🙂

Now I can plan the trip with ease!

Warm Regards,

Kas

• The thread ‘Weather & cablecar/trains in October for Jungfrau’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.