Weather in Bernese oberland. August.

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2011 at 12:15:43 #804118

Hi, there!
    My name is Leonid. I am a member of the Nizhny Novgorod Mountain Club (http://trekkingclub.ru/indexde.htm). We’re going to visit Alps this August 2011. For completely preparations we need weather forecast in previous august. We understand, that the weather is unpredictable, but we want to know how many days we must reserve for a bad weather.
    We’re going to trekking with our own way, which we ‘re planning at the moment.
    Can u give me some advices where to seek? Any information will be useful. Thanks in advice.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    10 February 2011 at 15:26:00 #832166

Hi Leonid, and welcome here! There is a phone number to obtain historical weather data from Meteo Schweiz. I don’t know if there are other ways to get this kind of information. Based on my own experience in July/August, I would say that per week, on average, about 2 days per week were not suitable for (long) hikes. But as you say, the weather is unpredictable indeed, especially in the mountains. Weeks can go by almost without any rain, but it can rain across the entire country for 7 days in a row as well (I think that happened in the summer of 2010 as well).

I hope this helps you prepare.

• The thread ‘Weather in Bernese oberland. August.’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.