Week in Wengen & Zurich, cost of ticket to Wengen

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 June 2016 at 22:12:34 #809374

We will be staying in Wengen for a week and three additional days in Zurich before going home. I’m using the excel spreadsheet to figure out the point to point rail costs so I can determine what rail pass we should buy.

We’ll be flying into Zurich and Im unable to find the cost of a rail ticket from Zurch Airport to Wengen. Does anyone know the cost?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    7 June 2016 at 0:53:02 #852683

Hi Harleygirl-

Welcome to My Swiss Alps.

The timetable for the Swiss railways can give you prices. Note that the listed prices already include a 50% discount, since essentially all Swiss residents have a half- fare card.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

When will you travel? It can make a difference in the high alpine regions above Wengen…say above 2000 meters.. Winter is only slowly leaving up there now.

Slowpoke

Arno
    15471 posts
    7 June 2016 at 8:04:36 #852684

The timetable shows that the price of a 2nd class return ticket is CHF 174.80. There are quite some passes that may suit your needs. The best choice depends on what you’ve planned to do while in Wengen and Zurich. Just let us know if you need more help!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 June 2016 at 11:42:59 #852685

Thank you for sending me the time table. After looking at it, I see that the fare is actually 87.40 and not 174.80

We will be visiting at the end of August through the beginning of September. Once we figure out all of them trips we will be doing, we will price them all out so we can determine which pass is best for us. There’s so ma y wonderful trips to choose from!

Arno
    15471 posts
    7 June 2016 at 12:18:34 #852686

You’re welcome! I quoted the price of a return ticket since you’ll be traveling from Zurich to Wengen and back to Zurich. CHF 87.40 is the regular price of a single ticket.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 June 2016 at 22:27:44 #852687

Thank you everyone for being so helpful. This is our first visit there so we’re excited.

The timetable lists “Wengenwald”, is this the same as Wengen?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    7 June 2016 at 22:37:15 #852688

<<“The timetable lists “Wengenwald”, is this the same as Wengen?”>>

No. Wengwald is well down the hillside from Wengen.

Check this map, and , by the way, the timetable lists Wengwald, if I recall correctly.

map.search.ch/.en.html ?x=-24879m&y=-27948m&z=256

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 June 2016 at 0:28:48 #852689

Everything is saying Wengwald. How do I find a rail schedule that gives me a timetable from Zurich Airport to Wengen?? We will be staying in Wengen. I was told there is a train station in Wengen

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 June 2016 at 1:24:20 #852690

You stated that the fares on the timetables already include a 50% discount since Swiss residents already have a half fare card. However since I am coming from the US and am not a Swiss resident, how do I find out the correct fares? We are using your Excel spreadsheet to list all the point to point fares for all the trips we are planning so that we can determine which rail pass we should purchase.

Thanks

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    8 June 2016 at 6:43:22 #852691

Hi Harleyygirl-

<<“Everything is saying Wengwald. How do I find a rail schedule that gives me a timetable from Zurich Airport to Wengen?? We will be staying in Wengen. I was told there is a train station in Wengen”>>

The map that I linked to earlier shows the rail station (at the lower right) in Wengen.

Take a look at the screen grab that I have marked up and attached.

[Ooops- I entered Zürich, as noted in your message title. I should have entered Zürich Airport or “Flughafen” which means “Fly Harbor” more or less in German. Well, that will give you a chance for extra practice…;-) ]

As you start type “Wen….” in the indicated box, a list of towns will appear. You may select “Wengen” or continue to type the full name.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    8 June 2016 at 7:06:57 #852692

Hi Harleygirl –

<<“You stated that the fares on the timetables already include a 50% discount since Swiss residents already have a half fare card. However since I am coming from the US and am not a Swiss resident, how do I find out the correct fares?”>>

Enter your start point and destination in the timetable as explained above.

At the right of each journey is a box labeled “Fare/Buy”

For Zürich to Wengen, the fare shown just above the box is 41.70 CHF one way. That is the fare for someone with a half-fare reduction.

Click on the red box that says “Fare/Buy” The “Ticket Shop” will open.

You will get a menu such as I have attached in a screen grab.

By the way, the reason that it asks for a birthday, (which you will enter as day. month. year, not the US mode of month/day/year) is because there are age related discounts on certain types of journeys.

I have filled in fictitious data.

At the right, where you see a red arrow that I have added to the screen grab, click on the “please select” arrow head beneath the word “reduction.”

Select “No Reduction.”

You will observe that the computer returns 83.40 CHF.

That is the non-reduced fare that you can use in the spreadsheet where you can apply a reduction or not, as you choose.

Or, you can simply accept the “Half fare travelcard” entry if you only need to know the value for that single journey if you carry a half-fare discount card.

Let us know if that works for you.

By the way, I never use the spreadsheet which the forum moderators Arno and Annika have provided. I am a forum member, but not a moderator. Although I am a US resident, at this time a carry a longer term Half-Fare card currently available to those with a Swiss address. So, I never do the calculations. For me, the half-fare reduction is on average, the best for my use, so I just buy a ticket. The ticket machines all have a place to select 1/2 fare or full fare…. I simply select “half-fare” or the icon for the reduction.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Week in Wengen & Zurich, cost of ticket to Wengen’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.