Weekend in Interlaken + Jungfrau

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 October 2015 at 7:29:46 #808048

My friend and I plan to visit Interlaken and Jungfrau this weekend (24-25 Nov) and my planned route is to take the train from Zug – Zurich – Bern – Interlaken – lauterbrunnen – kleine scheidegg – Jungfrau Joch…I understand it should take around 5 hours to get to Jungfrau top…so we will start making our way at 8:30am and should get to the top by around 1:30pm…gonna visit ice palace and walk around then head down to lauterbrunnen at around 4 or 5 in the afternoon…gonna spend some time here then back to Interlaken and stay a night there…on sunday probably visit some waterfalls and head back to zug through Lucerne…

please advise if the above is feasible and would be grateful if you could suggest things to do in Jungfrau / lauterbrunnen / Interlaken and roughly how much time I should spend in each place. also would love to have suggestions on where to stay…

many thanks!!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    21 October 2015 at 0:01:04 #846597

Hi etcf1123 —

<<“My friend and I plan to visit Interlaken and Jungfrau this weekend (24-25 Nov)….”>>

Welcome to the forum.

Do you mean October or November for your weekend?

Zug to Kleine Scheidegg takes approximately 3. 5 hours, so you have your numbers in order. ( Add the trip up to Jungfraujoch.)

To go from Kleine Scheidegg up to Jungfraujoch is a great idea if the weather is clear. If it is cloudy up there, the pleasure is much reduced.

Check various weather forecasts and also the data available at local stations, such as Interlaken, Lauterbrunnen, etc., on the day you travel, before you commit.

The weather comes in layers. It may be cloudy in Wengen and sunny at the Jungfraujoch…or vice versa.

If the weather is decent, you’ll like the views and town if you stay in Mürren, Wengen, Grindelwald, and probably Lauterbrunnen.

Interlaken is better as a connection point than as a tourist destination, in my opinion.

Sleep –

http://www.myswissalps.com/ho tels

http://www.myswissalps.com/be rneseoberland/hotels

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 October 2015 at 7:34:39 #846598

Thanks Slowpoke for your sharing. Yes you are right I intend to travel this weekend (ie October)

Below is the tentative itinerary as weather forecast for Saturday is nice:

24 Oct (Sat)

8:29am Zug (via Bern)

1:22pm arrive Jungfrau – lunch, snow activities, ice palace, Sphinx observatory (about 3 hours)

4:30pm depart Jungfrau

6:00pm arrive Interlaken and spend a night (Hotel Restaurant Aarburg booked)

25 Oct (Sun)

9:00am visit waterfalls at Lauterbrunnen (about 2-3 hours including lunch)

12-1pm train to Luzern

3:00pm arrive in Luzern (spend about 1-2hours) – boat tour (PLEASE SUGGEST WHICH AREA TO GO FOR A BOAT TOUR)

Back to Zug

I would be grateful if someone can plan an alternative for me such that we can visit Jungfrau on Sunday morning instead and see the towns on Saturday since most things will be closed on Sundays unless you say there are not much to see apart from nature which is independent of time

Many thanks!!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    21 October 2015 at 13:27:06 #846599

<<“3:00pm arrive in Luzern (spend about 1-2hours) – boat tour (PLEASE SUGGEST WHICH AREA TO GO FOR A BOAT TOUR)Back to ZugIwould be grateful if someone can plan an alternative for me such thatwe can visit Jungfrau on Sunday morning instead and see the towns on Saturday since most things will be closed on Sundays unless you say there are not much to see apart from nature which is independent of timeMany thanks!!””>

Hi etcf123-

It sounds like you have an excellent plan, but keep an eye on the weather as it can change rapidly in the Alps.

One option is that it would be possible to spend more time in Luzern on the 25th, even with your stated schedule, because Zug is so close to Luzern and you can stretch your day at the end.. You can leave Luzern at 1810 and be in Zug at 1830, for example.

http://www.sbb.ch/en/home.htm l

for the timetable

Luzern has many attractions open on Sunday and the schedules are not so much affected by the sports seasons as in the Alpine resorts. You could keep that in mind.

The villages of Mürren and Wengen are noted mostly for sightseeing and places to eat and sleep. Hiking bases in the summer, skiing bases in the Winter. Cable car from Mürren upwards, also. As far as I know, it will not make much difference between Saturday and Sunday, and with your schedule you might only need a cup of tea or coffee in the afternoon. Frequent trains mean you can be flexible.

If Arno or Annika can comment on Sunday closings, I’d appreciate it.. Throughout Switzerland, Mondays tend to be the day that things close.

If you wish to exchange your days ( which is not necessary in my opinion) you might spend Saturday in Luzern, stay Saturday night in interlaken, and, if the weather holds, go up to Jungfraujoch on Sunday morning.

Weather near the top of Jungfrau tend sto be cloudier as the day progresses. Morning is frequently, but not always, better for views.

Stop at a village(s) if you wish on the way down—Wengen is easier, Grindelwald is more commercial and might have more restauarants open, but if you chose Wengen you could substitute a walk on the LB Valley floor. Maybe the Staubbach Falls are open….. Look at a map:

map.search.ch/

Then return to Zug directly from Lauterbrunnen – 2hrs 57 minutes every half hour in the early evening.

It’s a long day, but you can shorten the stays in the village(s) in the Jungfrau region.

As for Luzern Lake boats- my favorite portion is a bit complex to fit in.

It is to use the trains to get to either Brunnen (10 minute walk to dock) or Flüelen (2 minute walk to dock) and ride the lake boat between the two stops. Then take the train back to Luzern, or, directly to Zug, which would be faster. Best part of the lake, in my opinion.

There are also routes which connect Luzern with the villages on the shore of the northern part of the lake.

Those are quite nice, too. That part of the lake has the Rigi and Pilatus to look at.

Look heere:

http://www.myswissalps.com/bo atlakelucerne

You’ll need a map.

map.search.ch/

Here is the schedule–pick the right season –

http://www.lakelucerne.ch/fil eadmin/lakelucerne/con tent/Dokumente_Downloa ds_PDF/01_Fahrplan-Preise/01_Fahrplan/Sai sonaler_Fahrplan/2015_ Fahplan_Winter_mit_Zei chenerkl%C3%A4hrung_A4 .pdf

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 October 2015 at 13:38:47 #846600

Slowpoke, thank you for the comprehensive comments! They are super useful! I’m so looking forward to the weekend trip now 🙂

<<“Luzern has many attractions open on Sunday and the schedules are not so much affected by the sports seasons as in the Alpine resorts. You could keep that in mind.”>>

I just wonder what attractions would you recommend in Luzern apart from the lake boat? Thanks

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    21 October 2015 at 15:12:03 #846601

<<“I just wonder what attractions would you recommend in Luzern apart from the lake boat? Thanks:>>

Look here-

http://www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne

Also-

http://www.myswitzerland.com/ en-us/destinations/holida y-destinations-in-switzerland/lucerne.ht ml

If it happens to inteerst you, one of the worlds greatest collections of Paul Klee drawings (as well Picasso and others) is at the Rosengart Collection. Three minutes from the main station in Luzern. There is also a neat small Picasso museum in the old ciity near the river.

The Tourist Info office is by track #1 in Luzern Main Station. They are very helpful.

http://www.rosengart.c h/museum_rosengart_en. php5

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 October 2015 at 16:56:25 #846602

I have a question regarding the travel passes…I hold a half fare card so I can get the 1 day travel pass plus for the 2 of us. My question is whether this travel pass allows us unlimited travel across Switzerland including all the way up to Jungfrau (i.e. Jungfrau railways) or from which point onwards we have to get additional tickets? Thanks

Arno
    15483 posts
    21 October 2015 at 17:24:44 #846603

Hi etcf1123,

You can find information here: myswissalps.com/ swisshalffarecard/deta ils. A 1-day travelpass gets you to Wengen or Grindelwald for free. From there on, it’s 50% off.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 October 2015 at 17:41:21 #846604

Thanks Arno. But we are thinking of getting the 1 day travel pass, so I just wonder how far it can get us to for free if we decided to go to Jungfrau from Interlaken – Lauterbrunnen – Kleine Scheidegg – Jungfrau

Thanks

Natalie

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    21 October 2015 at 18:14:31 #846605

Natalie –

Arno answered y0ur question. as far as Wengen.

Look at a map.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 October 2015 at 18:45:39 #846606

Thanks both! Much appreciated

• The thread ‘Weekend in Interlaken + Jungfrau’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.