Wengen-Jungfraujoch- Kleine Scheidegg trip route

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 May 2011 at 12:04:14 #804322

If we are staying in Wengen, and want to do the Jungfraujoch train ride, and include a walk from Mannlichen to Kleine Schedegg as well, can you tell me if the following is correct:

1)Leave Wengen early, around 7:30am/8:00am – purchase a ticket to the Jungfarujoch via Kleine Scheidegg
    2)Go directly to the Jungfraujoch
    3)From there, take train to Kleine Scheidegg (its now probably time for lunch?)
    4)walk to Mannlichen
    5)walk back to Kleine Scheidegg
    6)walk back to Wengen

First, do I have the itinerary/directions correct?
    Next – train ride to Jungfraujoch – I understand this is 2 1/2 hours?
    If we do all the above, I think that puts us back in Wengen around dinner time, correct?
    If this is correct, can we buy one-way tickets, or do we need round trip? Need to purchase in advance?

Thanks for your input

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    23 May 2011 at 9:33:14 #832919

Hello Cynthia,

For starters: what you are planning here seems a bit much to me for one day. Being at Jungfraujoch can be rather overwhelming, there’s the high altitude and if weather is nice you probably want to spend some time there. Of course I don’t know how your fysical and/or hiking condition is, but nevertheless.

Wengen-Kleine Scheidegg-Jungfraujoch will take you about 1,5 hours, depending on your time of departure and the connections. If there are many people going up to Jungfraujoch you might have to wait for the next train(s). You can check the time table if you want.

Hiking to Männlichen and back is doable, although you will hike the same track twice, it will be worth your while because of all the beautiful views.
    Walking back to Wengen might be a bit too much. It’s a wonderful hike, but rather tiring after all you have done already.

An alternative idea would be: hiking from Kleine Scheidegg to Wengernalp (part of the route to Wengen) and take the train to Wengen from there. You will be so glad that you can sit! 🙂

I’m pretty sure one ticket for the whole plan will be available, just ask the train personnel at any manned train station. Purchasing in advance will not be necessary.

Hoping this helps a bit, and whishing you the best weather ever,

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 May 2011 at 10:54:02 #832920

Wandermann –

Thanks for the information. We’ll leave for the Jungfraujoch early – I’m an early person. I assume we’ll be at the top around 9:00am – 9:30am, and plan to spend some time there – at least until the cold forces me back down the hill (not a cold-weather person).

Once in Kleine Scheidegg, is there any other way to/from Mannlichen other than walking? We could always take a gondola/train one direction and walk the best direction.

As we walk from Kleine Scheidegg to Wengen – Wengernalp would be a great place for us to hop a train unless everyone is feeling up to continuing the walk. That is a great idea – thanks.

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    23 May 2011 at 11:25:18 #832921

Hello Cynthia,

Actually, there are no short alternatives for walking from Kleine Scheidegg to Männlichen.

Alternatives are: cogwheel train (Wengeralpbahn) from Kleine Scheidegg
    1. to Grindelwald Grund, from where you can take the gondolas up to Männlichen.
    2. to Wengen, from where you can take a cable car up to Männlichen.

I hope this answers your question.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 May 2011 at 13:53:45 #832922

It does, thanks. I think we’ll walk from Kleine Scheidegg to Mannlinchen, then back – and then we’ll start our walk to Wengen and we’ll catch a ride on the way if we tire out.

• The thread ‘Wengen-Jungfraujoch- Kleine Scheidegg trip route’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.