Wengen to ZERMATT via scenic route

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 May 2013 at 8:03:01 #805988

We were seeking advice on travelling via train from Wengen to ZERMATT, in Sept.
    We are not time conscious and would prefer the most scenic route.
    Does this involve the Lotschberg Express ?
    Can we purchase tickets at Wengen for the complete trip or?
    Thanks in anticipation.
    Ecca down under.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    12 May 2013 at 13:51:10 #838657

Hi Ecca,
    The Lötschberg RegioExpress (Spiez – Kandersteg – Goppenstein – Brig) would be my preference too. You can purchase tickets in Wengen, but don’t you need a rail pass for all your other traveling? If so, you may not need a ticket at all. Here’s an overview of passes.

You could even do a boat trip from Interlaken to Thun, and pick up the RegioExpress there.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 May 2013 at 10:39:03 #838658

I need direction on Swiss Pass or even BO Regional Pass.
    We propose to travel
    Zurich airport to Wengen
    Various trips around Wengen including Jungfrau/Schilthon
    Wengen to ZERMATT via Lotschberg RE
    ZERMATT to Zurich and then onto Strasbourg in France.

I understand that whichever pass option we select some of the mountain routes receive only 50% discount.

Which pass do you recommend.?
    How do we deal with our inward leg being from airport to Wengen and outward leg to Swiss border departing from ZERMATT and exiting at Zurich and onward to Strasbourg and maximizing discount under the Swiss Pass regime?

Thanks in anticipation

Ecca

Arno
    15471 posts
    13 May 2013 at 12:17:04 #838659

Hi Ecca,

I would propose to purchase the Swiss Card plus the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland, exactly like I suggested in the second post in this topic. You would use the Swiss Card for the free transfer from Zurich Airport to Wengen, and from Zermatt to Basel on your way to Strasbourg. In addition you would need a regular point to point ticket from Basel to Strasbourg. Note that the free rides included in the Swiss Card requires you to take the most direct route from Zermatt to Basel, which is not via Zurich. Is there a reason for you to travel via Zurich that day? If there is we need to look into other options. The timetable shows what’s the most obvious route for any trip.

You would use the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland for all your traveling from Wengen, and for the leg Wengen – Brig of your transfer to Zermatt. The leg Brig – Zermatt requires a ticket, but that will be 50% discounted because of your Swiss Card. The Swiss Card also gets you 50% discounts on mountain routes from Zermatt.

Another option, which does allow you to travel via Zurich on your outbound trip, and which does not require a ticket from Brig to Zermatt, is the 3-day Swiss Saver Flexi Pass plus the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland. It’s almost the same price, just a litle bit more expensive, as the combination mentioned above.

I assume intensive traveling from Wengen, so that’s why you need the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland. Of course you can omit that pass and just buy discounted tickets for each trip using your Swiss Card or Swiss Saver Flexi Pass. In the end, only detailed calculations show you what’s best from a costs perspective. Please click the various links for all details about the passes, including network maps and resellers.

I hope this answers your question.

• The thread ‘Wengen to ZERMATT via scenic route’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.