What activities stop in rains and thunderstorms

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 June 2017 at 17:11:17 #812234

Hi,

My husband and I have created an itinerary as per which we spend 2 days at Luzerne and then go on to spend 3 days at Interlaken starting June 19th.

On 19th we land early at Zurich, take the train to Luzerne and go on to Mt. Titlis. My questions :

1.Will we be able to check in at 8.30a.m.?

2.The weather forecast for both 19 and 20th is rain and thunderstorm. Will we still be able to do Mt. Titlis.

What other options do we have. ?

Just cannot imagine going back without seeing Mt. Titlis

Have read so much about it by now.

Thanks in anticipation

Seema

We

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 June 2017 at 1:05:53 #865001

>> My husband and I have created an itinerary as per which we spend 2 days at Luzerne and then go on to spend 3 days at Interlaken starting June 19th.

On 19th we land early at Zurich, take the train to Luzerne and go on to Mt. Titlis. … Will we be able to check in at 8.30a.m.?

Not usually. More than likely the previous occupants will still be in your room. Check-in is usually not before 2pm or 3pm, but most hotels will let you leave your luggage there and complete check-in later in the day. Depending on where your hotel is located, it might be more convenient to put your luggage in the lockers at Luzern station until you check in.

More information about the lockers here:

https://www.sbb.ch/en/ station-services/railway-stations/lucerne-station.html

(Expand the section “Equipment and mobility at the station”)

>> The weather forecast for both 19 and 20th is rain and thunderstorm. Will we still be able to do Mt. Titlis.

The weather forecast could change between now and then. The cable cars will not run if the weather compromises safety. Mainly this is to do with wind.

On this page you can check the weather, see what cable cars are operating, and look at the webcam to see what visibilitiy on top is like:

http://www.titlis.ch/en/ski-resort/weather

>> What other options do we have. ?

For Titlis, none. You could consider a boat trip on the Vierwaldstättersee (Lake Lucerne), indoor activities such as museums, or going for a scenic ride on the train (especially if you have a Swiss Travel Pass which covers all these things).

This page might help in finding alternative activities:

http://www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne

>> Just cannot imagine going back without seeing Mt. Titlis

Have read so much about it by now.

If you can’t visit Titlis while you are in Luzern, you could do so from Interlaken, although it would be a very long day.

The Swiss Timetable can help you plan this trip and see what travel time is involved:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 June 2017 at 15:23:03 #865002

Thanks Alpenrose for your detailed response. You Made things very clear

Will Mt. Pilatus or Mt. Rigi be possible options if we miss Mt.Titlis. Could they possibly have a weather different from Mt. Titlis?

Is the Glacier Express a viable option from Luzerne.? We have a Swiss Pass. And would prefer to do part of the ride . Not the complete ride . If so which is the best part of the route. (If weather doesn’t allow anything else is what I’m worried about. )

Museums I believe are closed on Mondays. 19th is Monday.

Alternatively could we then go to Rhine falls or Zurich tour even in rainy weather?

Really grateful to this forum for addressing our queries.

Thanks

Seema

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 June 2017 at 6:27:54 #865003

Hi Seema,

It is possible the mountains have a little different weather – one could be covered in clouds and another might be a bit better for example – keep an eye on the weather than morning before deciding where to go.

The Glacier Express is not really viable from Luzern no. It travels between Chur and Zermatt. Click here to read more about the Glacier Express route – you could do a partial route, perhaps from Andermatt or Brig. Use the timetable to find schedules – the train is noted as GEX on the timetable (from Alpenroses post).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 June 2017 at 15:39:22 #865004

>> Will Mt. Pilatus or Mt. Rigi be possible options if we miss Mt.Titlis. Could they possibly have a weather different from Mt. Titlis?

As Lucas mentioned, if it’s just a matter of cloud cover on Titlis, Pilatus or the Rigi might not have the same cloud cover. If it’s more a question of stormy and rainy weather, I suspect it would be pretty much the same at each location.

You can check the weather and webcams on the respective websites for each mountain:

http://www.rigi.ch/en/Informa tion/Weather

http://www.pilatus.ch/nc/live /

>> Is the Glacier Express a viable option from Luzerne.? We have a Swiss Pass. And would prefer to do part of the ride . Not the complete ride . If so which is the best part of the route.

Not really. Reservations are compulsory on the Glacier Express. If you are wanting to travel on it at short notice, chances of getting a reservation are pretty remote I would think.

You could travel along part of the route on normal trains. If you wanted to do this, I would suggest the route Luzern-Erstfeld-Göschenen-Andermatt-Sedrun, which takes in the rugged Schöllenen Gorge between Göschenen and Andermatt, and then goes over the Oberalppass (which is one of my favourite parts of the Glacier Express route).

That would take 3 hours each way, and you would need to come back the same way. The reason I suggest going as far as Sedrun is because there is a nice restaurant at the station, where you could have lunch before heading back to Luzern.

There is always a chance that clouds could spoil this trip as well. I did it one day because it was a very wet day and Titlis, Pilatus and the Rigi were in the clouds. Whilst there was a lot of cloud around, views along the Glacier Express route were still wonderful, as the clouds were moving constantly. However, visibility at the Schöllenen Gorge was very poor, as was the view over Andermatt, which was completely obscured by clouds.

>> Museums I believe are closed on Mondays. 19th is Monday.

Some are. The Swiss Museum of Transport, the Rosengart Collection and the Bourbaki Panorama are open on Mondays.

>> Alternatively could we then go to Rhine falls or Zurich tour even in rainy weather?

Well, the Rhine Falls is an outdoor attraction, so you would want to check the weather there.

http://www.rheinfall.ch/en/se rvice/weather

Walking through Zürich old town would be nice, and there are plenty of cafes to take refuge in if the weather is unpleasant, but if you have not by this stage walked through Luzern old town, in my opinion that would be a better option than travelling all the way to Zürich.

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘What activities stop in rains and thunderstorms’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.