What constitutes a Flex Pass “travel day”

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 February 2017 at 20:58:12 #810911

Is a travel day consumed only on days you travel on a train? Or, if you use the pass for a bus, discounted cable car or museum entry, does that also expend a day? Is riding a local train (e.g. Wengen to Lauterbrunnen) considered a travel day?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 February 2017 at 6:13:00 #859405

Hi Abingtonian and welcome to MySwissAlps!

When you buy a Swiss Travel Pass Flex, you can select (write in) the dates you want to use it for. Those are your travel dates, regardless of what form of transportation you use.

Read about how to use the pass in more detail here.

Does that make sense?

Regards,
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 March 2017 at 3:01:43 #859406

Lucas

Thank you for your reply but let me rephrase the question… I would be purchasing a 4 day Flex Pass to use over an 8 day period. If I use the pass on a day I am not traveling on a train – for say, a discounted cable car ride or on a local bus – would that expend one of my four days?

Thanks again

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 March 2017 at 8:28:55 #859407

Yes, you need to indicate on the Swiss Travel Pass Flex what dates you want to use the pass. So if you want to use the pass to cover the cost of a cable car or bus or train etc. on April 2 (for example) you must write in April 2 on your pass and use up one day.

You should choose the 4 dates during your stay that you use the most trains, buses, gondolas, ships… (or the most expensive ones). On other days you would buy a point to point ticket.

P.S. don’t use the flex pass on a day where you only take local city buses around a town – it is not cost effective. Just buy a day pass in town or a point to point ticket on a bus for a couple chf (Swiss Francs).

Does that makes sense?

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 March 2017 at 16:17:49 #859408

Lucas

Yes – that makes sense. So instead I am interested in the following (from SBB as found on http://www.swiss-pass.ch) but their website says I am not authorized to access/purchase that pass. Wondering if it is available only to citizens of Euro nations…? I am US.

“Swiss Travel Pass Flex Combi

With the Swiss Travel Pass Flex Combi, you can freely choose your travelling days. The Swiss Travel Pass Flex is valid for for 3, 4, 8 or 15 days within a month, in which unlimited travel on the Swiss Travel System network is allowed on those days. Furthermore, on the days between the first and the last validated day, the pass offers a 50% discount on trains, buses and boats, as well as half price on most mountain railways.”

Arno
    15471 posts
    3 March 2017 at 16:55:24 #859409

Hi Abingtonian,

Unfortunately that’s outdated information; that product is not for sale anymore. The website you mentioned is not SBB by the way. For up to date details on (nearly) all passes, please see myswissalps.com/train/ ticketspasses. In many cases the Swiss Travel Pass or Swiss Half Fare Card is the best buy. What are your travel plans and how long are you staying in Switzerland?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 March 2017 at 20:39:34 #859410

Merci Arno

I will go to the Swiss Alps site.

Our plans involve 2 parents and one 13 year old child over a 14 day period.

• Arrive ZRH and take train to St. Gallen for just one night.

We will then spend 6 nights outside of Switzerland and return to Switzerland for 7 nights, including:

• 2 nights in Zermatt – including use of local lifts/trams.
    • Zermatt to Wengen by train for 3 nights – including use of local trains, lifts/trams + Jungfrau
    • Wengen to Zurich by train for 2 nights.

(Depart ZRH for home)

Since our train travel outside of Switzerland includes only 3 short legs, I am not inclined to consider a Eurail pass to cover all travel since much of our costs will be on the trains, lifts/trams in Switzerland and the Swiss Rail pass offers better discounts. Do you agree?

Arno
    15471 posts
    3 March 2017 at 22:09:53 #859411

I agree that a Eurail Pass does not make sense in this case. The two passes I mentioned in my previous post could both work. In case of the Swiss Travel Pass I’d buy the one for 8 days and buy regular tickets for the one night stay in St. Gallen. If you prefer to do the math to compare in detail please see here.

• The thread ‘What constitutes a Flex Pass “travel day”’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.