What is a GA travel card?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 January 2016 at 3:34:41 #808244

Hi, anyone can help to answer?

What is GA travel card? Is it apllied to foreign visitor? Is the way of usage similar as Swiss Travel Pass?

Sincerely

Vickie Tao

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    7 January 2016 at 5:21:28 #847556

Hi Vickie, welcome to MySwissAlps,

The GA travel card allows Swiss citizens unlimited traveling by public transport for a year. As a tourist, you need a different kind of pass. You can find them here. The Swiss Travel Pass is one of your options. It also allows unlimited traveling and is indeed similar to the GA.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    7 January 2016 at 15:43:37 #847557

Hi Vickie –

Arno explained it.

GA stands for General Abonnement, if my French spelling is correct. 😉

Do you expect to be in Switzerland for more than one month or more than one time per year? If so, it is possible to get a 1 year, 2 year, or 3 year half-fare travel pass, provided that you have a mailing address in Switzerland and a digital photograph of prescribed size and details for an on-line application. The cost for a year is not a whole lot more than the cost of a 1 month half fare card.

It is called a Halb-Abo, Halb Abonnement, or for short, a Halb-Tax. (Halb is german for ‘half” of course.)

That is what I use, because I visit Switzerland 2 to 3 times per year. I use the mailing address of a friend Canton Obwalden.

Gotta have that Swiss mailing address, though.

I don’t know what the requirements are for a GA. Arno mentioned Swiss citizenship.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘What is a GA travel card?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.