What is GA Subscription / Rail Plus on Sbb.ch ?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 February 2016 at 8:51:22 #808451

Hi, While booking my journey from Geneva to Venice, I see the option for a reduction as GA Subscription and also Rail Plus . Are they referring to the Swiss Travel Pass ?

If not is there any other place on the Sbb.ch website where I can utilize my swiss travel pass which would still be valid on my last day ( Day 8 ) in switzerland from Geneva to Domodossola ?

Regards

Vineet

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15478 posts
    19 February 2016 at 9:39:10 #848583

Hi Vineet,

SBB is the site for Swiss citizens. You can use it for train schedules and additional details like station information. Choosing GA should work as it’s similar, but not the same thing, and I’m not sure if GA entitles the owner to get a discount in Italy (unlike Swiss Travel Pass). There are other sites to buy tickets and passes as a tourist. Your Swiss Travel Pass covers your journey from Geneva to Domodossola. So you only need a ticket from there to Venice. All purchase options are listed here.

As you’re in Australia, I would first take a look at http://www.raileurope.com.au/ train/italian-international-trains-7267. If you book early these tickets can be real cheap, from AU$ 25.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 February 2016 at 11:54:00 #848584

Hi Arno,

Thanks for clearing things, I was looking to book seats in the eurocity direct train from Geneva to Venice which requires reservation, so that’ why wanted to know whether swiss pass would help securing any discount in the Switzerland part of the journey.

I don’t find Rail Europe reliable as the inital price shows up less but during the final stages of booking, it comes up with an higher price saying “we can’t find the lower fares”. That’s my experience with raileurope in 5 or 6 instances on different segments, however sbb.ch and bahn.de fare remains the same till the end of booking, also they give you the option of print at home, and my credit card dosen’t charge any transaction fees for purchases done in CHF or Euros.

Regards

Vineet

Arno
    15478 posts
    19 February 2016 at 17:50:24 #848585

Hi Vineet,

The Swiss Travel Pass covers every train from Geneva to Domodossola, regardless of its destination. You don’t need seat reservations for the Swiss leg, although some sites may offer a reservation for the whole journey while you just pay for the leg Domodossola – Venice. Rail Europe offers such tickets, and they can be printed at home, but if their price increases while ordering that’s indeed annoying. I don’t think bahn.de even offers online tickets for trips that do not involve Germany, but it looks like you found a way. You can also check italo.en.voyages-sncf.com/en. I saw tickets Geneva – Venice for just € 29.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 February 2016 at 8:02:22 #848586

Hi Arno,

Thanks again , I used Bahn.de for the amsterdam-zurich leg, and you are right in pointing that it dosen’t let you book trains that don’t pass through Germany.

Happy to know that swiss pass holders can get on board the direct train EC 37 without a reservation while in Switzerland.

Kind Regards

Vineet

• The thread ‘What is GA Subscription / Rail Plus on Sbb.ch ?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10950 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.