Geneva or Glacier Express from Interlaken

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2017 at 8:39:10 #811203

hello. all moderators.

i am arriving in switzerland on 1st june. my first 3 nights are at interlaken.

on first day after check in at around 12 noon. what should i do on that remaining day.

1. take a train to geneva and do city tour or

2. take a train to visp. then board glacier express short journey to zermatt. from zermatt back to interlaken.how much time i can spend in zermatt and what is special about it.

i will plan my daily itinerary as per your suggestions and time frame.

regards.

dr. sanjaykumar

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2017 at 10:22:09 #860575

Hi Sanjaykumar,

It depends on what you would prefer to do. Either way it will be a very long/late day if you don’t depart Interlaken until 12 noon – I would suggest leaving earlier. You can search for train timetables/schedules here.

Personally, I think the Glacier express and visiting Zermatt would be more interesting (the Matterhorn is pretty cool and unique as is Gornergrat cogwheel train). What is it in Geneva that you thought you would like to see?

Regards,
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2017 at 16:12:35 #860576

zermatt is not a place for a day visit. if u catch glacier express and reach zermatt, u will not be having time left to go to matterhorn

Arno
    15471 posts
    27 March 2017 at 17:32:04 #860577

Hi all,

Note that it is not worth it to take the Glacier Express for the short ride from Visp to Zermatt only. You may not even be allowed to board as trains like this sometimes stop to alight only at the final stops. In any case you would need to pay a CHF 33 surcharge for this train so I recommend to just take any of the regular trains which don’t come with additional costs. They use the same route so you won’t miss any of the views.

But I agree with what’s said above: those trips are too long if you only depart in the afternoon. There is plenty to see and do much closer to Interlaken: myswissalps.com/interl aken/activities.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2017 at 18:20:41 #860578

thanks lucas, rajikadinesh and arno.

i have only 3 nights at interlaken. 2nd day is for jhungfrau and 3rd day is for glacier 3000. then if i want to plan a short route scenic train . do suggest along with timings and station.

secondly when i check out from interlaken in morning. can i board golden pass train 11.04 a.m interlaken to luzern. is that route scenic one.

any suggestion regarding my 3 day itinerary do suggest so that i can modify.

regards.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 March 2017 at 5:38:38 #860579

Hi Sanjay,

The train route between Interlaken and Luzern is scenic yes and may be your best bet with only a 1/2 day available to you.

Alternatively you could do the Golden Pass route in the other direction from Interlaken to Montreux (a longer day but also a very nice trip) and then take a regular train back to Interlaken that night.

More information on the Golden Pass train can be found here and train schedules to plan a trip to Luzern can be searched for here.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 March 2017 at 10:43:34 #860580

if i want a short journey on scenic train glacier expree or golden pass . from interlaken

which route should i take. can it be managed after completing jhungfrau or glacier 3000

how much time does it take to enjoy short distance scenic train.

does golden pass panoramic train from interlaken to luzern requires reservation of seats. we are 4 passengers that’s why i want to clarify.

are the rate of swiss travel pass flexible ? few days back it was 376 chf for adult today it is 420 chf.

are discount rate available for bulk of 4 or family pass.

pl. guide

dr. sanjaykumar

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 March 2017 at 13:32:57 #860581

Hi Sanjay,

From Interlaken I would take the Golden Pass panoramic train – much easier. You may be able to combine this with the Glacier 3000 as it is near Montreux but would require an early start to your day.

A good and short scenic train trip would be between Interlaken and Luzern as an alternative to the longer Golden Pass or Glacier Express trains.

Reservations are not required for the Golden Pass but I would recommend it, especially for a family of 4 to sit together.

Swiss Travel Pass prices can fluctuate from time to time due to foreign exchange rates or a promotion with an online company.

No discounts are available unfortunately for families or groups.

Lucas

Arno
    15471 posts
    29 March 2017 at 14:44:06 #860582

The 8-day Swiss Travel Pass costs CHF 376, the 8-day Swiss Travel Pass Flex costs CHF 420. These are different passes (consecutive days vs. flexible) so that explains the different price.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 March 2017 at 2:54:53 #860583

thanks Arno and Lucas

its very nice and informative response from your team.

great job from your side. sincerely appreciated.

regards

dr. sanjaykumar.

• The thread ‘Geneva or Glacier Express from Interlaken’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.