What kind of additional train ticket to purchase?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 July 2016 at 5:19:57 #809724

Dear Arno and Annika,

My husband, a daughter and I will go to Switzerland on August 3 from Milan. We will stay at Gimmelwald on the 3th, leave for Lausanne on the 4th, and leave the country from Geneva on the 5th. We already bought Swiss Travel Pass.

My other daughter is already in Lausanne for internship. She would like to join us from the 3th, 4th and 5th, and then she will go back to Switzerland to finish her summer internship by the end of August.

So far she only uses point to point train ticket. What kind of train ticket that we could purchase (to add to ours) for her for this short event? Would you please kindly give us an advice on this matter? We would appreciate it so much.

Yours, GiokBie

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7103 posts
    20 July 2016 at 6:24:12 #854410

Hi GiokBie,

Good to hear you’ve purchased your Swiss Travel Passes and are ready to visit Switzerland! As for your daughter’s travels: I’m not quite sure which trips she’ll be making. Will she be joining you on your inbound trip from Milan on August 3, or will you meet in Switzerland later that day? And if so, where along the route exactly? You mentioned she’ll be returning to Switzerland on August 5, but does that mean she’ll join (part of) your outbound trip from Geneva? Will she be making tips with from Gimmelwald? The combination of all those details will be decisive. Once you have a clear list of her plans, you can start calculating if and which additional pass is most economical. Please use these guidelines. My guess is that either regular point-to-point tickets (maybe using cheaper supersaver tickets if these happen to be available for her specific connections) or a Swiss Half Fare Card will work best.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 July 2016 at 16:18:59 #854411

Dear Annika,

Thank you very much for your quick response. Sorry that I did not mention clearly about my daughter’s travel plan. She (youth under 26) will join us at Interlaken OST from Lausanne on the 3th and be with us from that day. On the 5th we (four of us) will be leaving Switzerland to continue our trip to another country. She will be back to Switzerland on the 10th.

We have been searching and comparing base on your suggestion. It seems the super saver tickets will work well with Half fare, but the super saver tickets are on available for all the places in Bernese Oberland ( she can get Lausanne-Wengen). Total cost for these three days event will be a little bit higher than getting a Swiss travel pass for 3 consecutive days.We could be wrong in this matter.

Now, our question is – would be it possible to add another Swiss travel pass for her using the booking number that we used to purchase ours?

I appreciate so much all your help.

Yours, GiokBie

Arno
    15471 posts
    20 July 2016 at 16:38:42 #854412

Hello GiokBie,

The 3-day Swiss Travel Pass Youth you plan to buy for your daughter is not in any way related to the Swiss Travel Passes for yourselves. You can buy it from any of the websites listed here, and you do not need your booking number.

Let me know if I didn’t understand your question somehow!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 July 2016 at 16:50:37 #854413

Dear Annika,

I just saw that I made a mistake in typing on my second paragraph , but the super saver tickets are on available ... which is supposedly…, but the super saver tickets are not available ... I am sorry about that.

I forgot to mention about this, there is a question ” will you travel together all the time?” , when we search for a ticket. She is already in Lausanne,. for the first part of August 3, she will travel by her self. After we meet at Interlaken, all of us will travel together for the rest of our 3 consecutive days. Will her condition make any different to get the ticket?

Thank you in advance for all your advice.

Yours, GiokBie

Arno
    15471 posts
    20 July 2016 at 17:02:49 #854414

Hi GiokBie,

If you get that question I assume you are ordering from this page: http://www.raileurope.com/rai l-tickets-passes/swiss-pass/index.html. They always ask that question, probably because they also sell some passes which are cheaper if two or more people are traveling together. This is not relevant for Swiss Travel Pass though. It’s the same price for single travelers and groups. So you can order for your daughter and pay the same you would have paid if you would have purchased for everyone together.

By the way, you can edit your posts if you want, until an hour after posting.

Kind regards,

Arno

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 July 2016 at 3:02:59 #854415

Dear Annika and Arno,

Thank you very much for all your valuable advice. Now it is time to order a ticket. Thank you again.

Yours,

GiokBie

• The thread ‘What kind of additional train ticket to purchase?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.