What passes sould i buy?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 September 2012 at 10:08:24 #805593

Hi there,
    I am traveling to Switzerland in mid-September this year with a friend but I’m not sure about the pass I’m going to buy.

I am Thai citizen and has lived on-off in Spain for 1 year (I have resident visa of Spain). Should I buy Swiss pass or Interrail one country pass? Is it possible for my friend and I to buy Swiss pass as it has a promo 1 for 2 now (because both of us have Thai passport but I carry resident visa)?

Thank before hand for the advice.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    3 September 2012 at 0:59:19 #837095

Hi tpannika,

The Swiss Pass includes more traveling options (especially mountain transport) than an Interrail pass. You can use the 2-for-1 promotion together. Pass details and points of sale can be found on our Swiss Pass page. Choose either Spain or Thailand from the dropdown list on that page, depending on where you want the pass to be delivered.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 September 2012 at 20:55:11 #837096

Thank you so much for the reply.

Just double check again, I tried to buy Swiss pass online on http://www.raileurope.com. When I identify “country of residence” as Spain is where I have been living lately, there was a pop up telling me that this pass cannot be booked buy EU resident.
    Will it be any problem when I use the pass in Switzerland as I will be using my resident visa to pass the countries’ borderlines?

Arno
    15484 posts
    4 September 2012 at 1:40:31 #837097

Hi tpannika,

Raileurope.com is only selling to US residents and a number of countries near the US. You can best go to our Swiss Pass page and select the country where you want your pass to be delivered (Spain or Thailand). That will show you a list of resellers that you can use.

I guess in your case your permanent country of residence is Thailand, so that’s what you should fill out when asked for. You have a Thai passport so that will match up with the country printed/written on your pass. Your resident visa is indeed still required to pass the borders, whether it be on board a train or otherwise.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 September 2012 at 15:32:48 #837098

Thank you.
    very clear indeed 😀

• The thread ‘What passes sould i buy?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.