What rail pass should I get? Zurich to Grindelwald

• kcurchin
    Participant
    5 posts
    14 December 2015 at 22:38:25 #808187

This September, I am leading a group of about 10 Americans trekking in Switzerland..this is our 6th year. What rail pass should we get if we are flying into Zurich, taking trains to Grindelwald, then the train to Kleine Scheidegg, then the train to the Jungfraujoch,then the train back to Lauterbrunnen and finally trains from Lauterbrunne to Zurich?

Please advise.

Thank you very much.

Ken Curchin

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    15 December 2015 at 6:12:02 #847248

Hi Ken,

I’d recommend the Swiss Transfer Ticket Combi. It includes the rides from and to the airport. You’ll get a 50% discount on additional trips (e.g. to Jungfraujoch).

All details can be found here: myswissalps.com/ swisstransferticket.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 December 2015 at 10:29:44 #847249

Arno knows these details extremely well and was very helpful to me.To be 100% sure you need to plan your itinerary, as you have done. Then check the full return fares for each trip and add it all up and compare with the full Swiss Pass. Next stage is to do as Arno suggested. Combi costs! Transfer from and to airport is included so take all your other planned trips and half the prices, add it all up and see how it compares to the 2 previous costs. Final consideration is that with the full Swiss Pass you don’t need to buy any more tickets and if you suddenly decide you want to add an extra trip, bus/tram/boat ride and entry to museum it’s already included.In looking at similar itinerary to yours starting next week and have opted for Full Swiss Pass! Good luck enjoy

Ray

Arno
    15484 posts
    15 December 2015 at 10:35:44 #847250

Hi Ray, you’re absolutely right that comparing the options is useful. The full process, including an Excel sheet to make it easier, is explained here: myswissalps.com/train/ ticketspasses/practica l/ chooserailpass.

• The thread ‘What rail pass should I get? Zurich to Grindelwald’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.