What to do in Murren after 8 pm in October?

• msra7hm2
    Participant
    63 posts
    28 August 2015 at 13:47:09 #807838

Hi

I am planned to arrive in Murren on 2 October at 8pm. I was wondering if I could go to Gimmelwald by walk and have my dinner there. Is the trail open at night? Or should I have my dinner in Murren itself? Any suggestion for restaurants?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    29 August 2015 at 6:43:59 #845785

Hi msra7hm2!

The trail will most probably be open, but it’s definitely not recommended to go hiking in dusk or dark. Even on relatively easy trails, this is very risky. You can take the cable car between Mürren and Gimmelwald, as it keeps running until midnight. But in all, I think it’s easier just have dinner in Mürren. Your hotel may provide good meals. If not, you may like the restaurant in the Eiger Guesthouse or the “La Grotte” restaurant in Hotel Blumental; both have excellent reviews.

msra7hm2
    Participant
    63 posts
    30 August 2015 at 10:51:53 #845786

1. Is it risky because of no lighting?

2. What do tourists do after dark in Murren? Any shop that opens late until night?

Arno
    15482 posts
    30 August 2015 at 12:32:57 #845787

1. Yes, indeed, it will be too dark to walk outside of town.

2. People just enjoy a quiet evening in small towns like this. There isn’t much entertainment, other than having a good dinner. There’s a bar and wellness center in hotel Eiger (across the rail station), although I’m not sure whether the wellness center is open at night. I can’t think of any shops that could be open after 6 PM.

msra7hm2
    Participant
    63 posts
    31 August 2015 at 7:52:19 #845788

Oh in that case I have to be well equipped after 6pm. From the part of the world I come from, we have late night munching and dinners and so on. I think I will pack some stuff for the rainy day 🙂

How about Lucerne? Are there shops , entertainment at night?

Arno
    15482 posts
    1 September 2015 at 6:42:23 #845789

Lucerne is much bigger, so also more lively. Probably not as much as you’re used to, but there are lots of restaurants and shops. The shops in the rail station will be open until 9 to 10 PM (not all of them). Museums close around 6 PM.

• The thread ‘What to do in Murren after 8 pm in October?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.