What to do while 3 days in Zurich/Uster

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2017 at 1:54:58 #811644

Hello,

I will be visiting and staying with a friend in Uster for 3 days late May. I will like to spend my time hiking the alps or experience true swiss.

Where would you recommend to go hiking or exploring? Would it be easier to rent a car or the train, since i will be traveling back to Uster each night to save money on accommodation (I could stay overnight if time would not allow it)?

Thank you and I appreciate your feedback.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2017 at 7:30:23 #862650

Hi aksyb and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Uster isn’t really close to the Alps or the alpine Swiss villages that you are thinking of. The region you probably want to spend the most time in is the Bernese Oberland.

Interlaken is the main town in the region and it is about 2.5 hours by train from Uster – you may want to look at towns and villages near here (listed on the link above) for your hotel stay instead. I would recommend traveling by train as it is the easiest and most efficient (some villages in the Bernese Oberland are car-free as well (Wengen and Murren).

Lucas

AlanPrice
    Participant
    279 posts
    3 May 2017 at 2:43:32 #862651

Hi aksyb,

If you are looking for a “Swiss” experience closer to Zurich/Uster, you might consider going to Mollis in Glarusland. It’s not quite the Oberland, but it has some good walking. You can catch a post bus that heads towards the Fronalpstock (the local House Mountain). The view from the top is a fantastic panoramic view of the surrounding regions, including the founding Cantons of the Swiss Confederation, Uri, Schywz, Nidwalden and Obwalden.

Cheers

Alan

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 May 2017 at 13:30:33 #862652

Thank you Lucas and Alan for the recommendations.

Peace,

Sybs

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 May 2017 at 13:38:04 #862653

What kind of rail pass should i purchase if i will be spending my time in Interlaken and Mollis?

Annika
    7124 posts
    4 May 2017 at 14:50:11 #862654

Hi Sybs,

A Swiss Half Fare Card may fit your plans best. Alternatively you can look into a 3 day Swiss Travel Pass. That’s more convenient as you don’t have to buy tickets for each trip, but I doubt whether it’s more economical in your case. You’ll have to make a list of plans and start calculating to tell for sure which pass is best for your specific itinerary: myswissalps.com/train/ ticketspasses/practica l/chooserailpass.

• The thread ‘What to do while 3 days in Zurich/Uster’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.