What to do in Zurich & Lucerne with rain predicted

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 September 2016 at 18:24:31 #810085

Arriving Zurich this Friday evening . 2 nts. Pick up car Sunday and plan to drive to Lucerne 2 nts. Drive to Basel Tuesday. Hotels all prepaid. Need advise on what to do if Zurich & Lucerne are raining.

Help!!! Mjktravel .

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    13 September 2016 at 8:12:05 #855930

Hi Mjktravel, welcome to MySwissAlps!

You might find this thread useful. Alternative things to do (other than peak visits) can be found on the Zurich and Lucerne pages.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    13 September 2016 at 18:19:05 #855931

Hi Mjktravel-

If I were making that trip, with one or two people, I’d use public transport, to avoid the delays of driving in those cities and the cost of parking my car in Luzern and Basel. Unless your hotel provides parking, you can easily spend the cost of train tickets just to park your car….if you are in the heart of the city.

Have you checked out public transportation?

http://www.myswissalps.com/tr avel/inswitzerland

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 September 2016 at 19:58:32 #855932

Thanks for your input. Actually there are 4 of us and we drop the car as soon as we get to Basel. Too much luggage to deal with on trains so car is easier for us. Taking a river cruise from Basel.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    13 September 2016 at 21:25:15 #855933

<<“Actually there are 4 of us and we drop the car as soon as we get to Basel. Too much luggage to deal with on trains so car is easier for us.”>>

Makes sense to me. If your stays were a little longer, I’d also consider the convenient ways that the SBB ships your luggage for you.

The cheapest gets it to you on 2nd day after you hand it in. 12 CHF per piece.

But, for a group of people, that can add up quickly. And the faster services are more expensive to start with.

Don’t forget to look at the Tinguely water sculpture in Basel.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    13 September 2016 at 21:41:55 #855934

Not sure if this matches your interests, but one of the better Picasso museums and a fantastic display of Klee’s in the Rosengart Collection, 3 minutes walk from the main station.

http://www.rosengart.ch/museu m_rosengart_en.php5

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘What to do in Zurich & Lucerne with rain predicted’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.