What train to take to Grindelwald?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 September 2016 at 15:04:04 #810045

Hello, This is our first time to Europe for our 25th anniversary. We are planning to fly to Amsterdam then take a train to Switzerland(Grindelwald) and stay a couple of nights there then take a train to Venice and end in Rome. I’ve been researching for days and my eyes are crossed from all the different train companies lol and it’s kind of confusing. Can y’all please help me to what train or trains to take to get to Grindelwald. Thank you so much!! 😊

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    6 September 2016 at 16:47:05 #855753

Hi bamasbay6277, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

There’s good news: all the different train companies are not relevant to you as a traveler. You can just travel from A to B as the timetable suggests. Whether the trip is covered by one, two or more train companies does not matter. Train passes and tickets cover routes, not companies.

Our train section might be useful for you, and this page specifically: myswissalps.com/ train/practical/ howtotravel.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 September 2016 at 16:53:19 #855754

Thank you so much for the warm welcome!! And thank you so much for the information, I will check it out this afternoon;) Have a great day😀

JoeyA
    Participant
    57 posts
    7 September 2016 at 17:56:56 #855755

Hi, I did a similar trip with my 2 children last year. We bought global Interrail passes. The whole point of the trip was to spend a couple of days in Switzerland but because it takes a while to get there by train I decided to turn it into a bit of a ‘see some of Europe’ adventure so we ended up flying to Amsterdam and then by train down to Venice, stopping at Brussels, Luxembourg, Heidelberg, Interlaken (3 nights), Milan, Venice (where we flew home from). The rail pass worked really well but I also bought a half fare card in Switzerland because this alone saved us money on the Jungfraujoch trip. The Interrail pass would cover your general trains in. Switzerland but if you plan lots of mountain railways, cable cars etc you may need to look at the different types of Swiss rail passes.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 September 2016 at 22:52:52 #855756

Thank you JoeyA for the great information, sounds like y’all had a great time. I’m going to look at all the train pass info you have suggested. Thank you for you info and your time😀

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 September 2016 at 6:51:34 #855757

Hi friend,welcome. me and my wife, at our 30 th anniversary, recently completed our 21 days eurotrip.We would like to share that

>>We are planning to fly to Amsterdam then take a train to Switzerland(Grindelwald) and stay a couple of nights there <<

1. From Amsterdam, to enter Switzerland by train, you need to reach Basel first. Early morning fast train takes around 7- hrs and another 3- hrs to Grindelwald. It is late evening. Instead if you take a morning flight to Basel (1.30hrs) and you have whole day to enjoy the scenic train journey in Switzerland.Also train fare is costly than airfare. Thanks.

Arno
    15484 posts
    8 September 2016 at 7:37:57 #855758

All true, although currently there also is a direct night train arriving in Basel eary morning. Tickets start at € 49. No charges for luggage, and it saves you one night in a hotel. I’m not sure if that train is still available after mid December. I think day trains start at € 89, but prices change by the date and time. Please see http://www.bahn.com.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 September 2016 at 10:22:11 #855759

Hi arno you are right, there is CNLservice from AMS around 8/30 pm.But my point is you will not see anything at night-so what is the benifit of train ride in europe as a tourist?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 September 2016 at 13:24:51 #855760

Dipchat995, thank you for the information. That is a great option to fly to Basel then take train so we can see Switzerland’s beautiful scenery by day. I’m definitely going to check into that option. And congratulations on y’all’s 30 yr anniversary!!! Thanks for the info and your time😊

Arno
    15484 posts
    8 September 2016 at 13:40:20 #855761

Hi dipchat995,

I tend to check into trains first and only flights if they can’t be avoided 🙂 The trains are more environmentally friendly than a flight, which is pretty important nowadays. Anyway, in this case, what matters is traveling within Switzerland during day time if possible. The train ride from Amsterdam to Basel is nice but not particularly scenic. I’ve done it during the day and night.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 September 2016 at 8:33:51 #855762

The train trip from Basel to Thun is also not senic.

There are no mountains in that part of Switserland but a lot of industry and sound walls along the railway.

After Thun it is is nice, you are in the Berner Oberland with view on the Thunersee on the left site of the train.

You can fly from Amsterdam to Basel, but you have spend a lot time extra to go to Schiphol, check in, wait on the airport and go in Basel to the railway station. I think you have only 3 hours more in Switserland than you go by train…….

You can by day train but it cost you one full day.

Europa is not so small you think…..

Greetings Brahms

• The thread ‘What train to take to Grindelwald?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.