What”s closed in February?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 December 2016 at 21:12:28 #810450

Time is getting near before I set off to Switzerland. I have been working out my itinerary for the duration of my stay in Switzerland but I am getting nervous that some places may be closed.

I am staying in Zurich, Lucerne, Berne, Interlaken, Zermatt, Chur and then onto Milan. The following places to visit are as follows: Rheinfalls, Jungfraujoch, Schilthorn, Trummelbach Falls, Mt Rigi, Mt Pilatus, Eggishorn, Matterhorn Glacier Paradise, Gornegratbahn, Boat trip on Lake Zurich.

If any one of these are closed, is there any alternatives?

I noticed there are various trips (long and short) on Lake Zurich. Any recommendations and which company to sail with?

Thank you

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 December 2016 at 2:19:40 #857424

Hello,

You can easy find on the internet of something is closed or open.

The Trummelbach Falls are closed.

Information Zurichsee boat trips: http://www.zsg.ch/en/

Arno
    15481 posts
    16 December 2016 at 7:51:19 #857425

Hi sirles,

The timetable allows you to find schedules of anything related to transportation, and our attraction pages provide links to further information. From the top of my head nearly everything should be open, except indeed the Trümmelbach Falls and perhaps Eggishorn. Boats will operate on a limited schedule. There is only one company operating boats on Lake Zurich, but there are longer and shorter boat rides.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 December 2016 at 12:24:26 #857426

Thank you for your replies. I understand that ZSG have added a surcharge for boat trips on Lake Zurich. Does this apply to Swiss Rail pass holders as well? Thanks

Arno
    15481 posts
    16 December 2016 at 15:44:11 #857427

Hi sirles,

Unfortunately the surcharge applies to everyone. Please see the Lake Zurich page: myswissalps.com/ boatlakezurich/ tickets.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 December 2016 at 22:32:26 #857428

Once again thank you all for your replies. Because Trummelbach Falls are closed in February, I have been looking for other alternatives for something to do for the day. I have come across Brienz and going up the Rothorn mountains but it seems I have hit another stumbling block because the steam railway does not open between November and May. Is there another way getting up to the Rothorn mountains? The scenery looks spectacular.

Thanks

Arno
    15481 posts
    22 December 2016 at 7:55:10 #857429

Hi sirles,

The cableway from Sörenberg, on the other side of the mountains, operates in winter too. The Brienzer Rothorn page provides details, a map, and links to schedules. It takes a lot of time to get there from Interlaken. A visit to the Niederhorn is much quicker, with similar views: http://www.niederhorn.ch.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 December 2016 at 19:14:25 #857430

Thank you Arno.

To get to Sorenberg, which is the best way? I am staying in both Interlaken and Lucerne.

Having a quick look at Neiderhorn, it looks very interesting. Wanting to spend the day there and do the boat trip on Lake Brienz, hiking, cable car ride and go to Lake Thun, am I being too optimistic.

Thank you

Arno
    15481 posts
    22 December 2016 at 19:54:21 #857431

You’re welcome sirles! You’ll spend less time traveling to Sörenberg from Lucerne. Just fill out the timetable I referred to before, that will get you all the details.

There are no boats operating on Lake Brienz in winter. There are on Lake Thun, but it’s a limited schedule.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 December 2016 at 23:37:50 #857432

Thanks again Arno your knowledge and advice is second to none.

Can you please recommend any winter hiking with superb views in Zermatt, Rothorn and Niederhorn.

Thanks

Les

Arno
    15481 posts
    23 December 2016 at 8:53:33 #857433

Hi Les,

I think there’s only one winter hiking trail at the Niederhorn, which goes down to the mid station and all the way down to Beatenberg if you want. I don’t know any on the Rothorn as it’s sitting on a steep ridge. There are lots of options in Zermatt, including snow shoe trails, but that’s very different. An easy hiking trail one is from Furi down to the village, but you’d better check the map yourself: http://www.zermatt.ch/en/wint er-hiking-snowshoeing/Erlebnisbe richt-Video-hiking/Winter-hiking-Snowshoe-trails-map.

In all cases you will need to check if they’re open as it’s all weather dependent.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 December 2016 at 17:50:26 #857434

Hi Arno

Had a look at Niederhorn website for winter hiking, and I am somewhat confused.

I was looking at the trail for Niederhorn to Vorsass which takes 1.15 hours and I presume that is a single journey. However, on the site, it mentions hiking ticket for 3 sections with various prices. None of those sections mentions Niederhorn to Vorsass. Does this mean I pay for the trail from Nierderhorn to Vorsass even though I am not going to Beatenberg or Beatenbucht (which was mentioned as one of the sections)? Also do you get a discount using Swiss Rail Pass?

Thank you

Les

Arno
    15481 posts
    30 December 2016 at 19:51:50 #857435

Hi Les,

I don’t know the hiking tickets in detail, but in any case you’ll pay just for transportation, not for walking on the trail. Just explain your plans at the ticket office and they’ll sell you the right ticket (e.g. one way Beatenberg – Niederhorn and one way Vorsass – Beatenberg). You will get a discount with the Swiss Travel Pass: myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass/validi ty.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 December 2016 at 20:39:44 #857436

Thanks Arno.

• The thread ‘What”s closed in February?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.